Making your own company

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Any of you thought of making a website that's sort of like Youtube? Where people can dump all their videos on there for viewing? Youtube's so successful at that and I don't see a lot of competition to Youtube which makes me think we should start our own site to compete with them. Online media storage, but offer better and more services. Maybe charging members for premium accounts, etc. What do you guys think about that?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

The problem here is that YouTube is far too dominant as it is, how do you plan to catch up and steal their market share? Bear in mind everything on YouTube is currently free.

"Better and more services" is a bit vague, what exactly did you have in mind? To be perfectly honest, you will have to pull something very special out of the hat to be able to compete with YouTube especially since Google took over.

It's pretty much impossible and you will need a shitload of webspace. Good luck though if you try. Like the post above me, youtube is far too dominant.

This idea wasn't my original idea, but from a friend of mine. Together with his other buddies, we have around $10,000 to invest. I'm the only one in the group that doesn't know how to program and create websites, lol, but they'll put me in charge of hardware and customer relations.

If we're serious about it, that is. It's just talk right now, but he already purchased a domain. Site is not created yet. It's going to offer some unique services that YouTube does not have, besides the usual video upload and viewing. I can't give out the name just yet :p.

It's pretty much impossible and you will need a shitload of webspace. Good luck though if you try. Like the post above me, youtube is far too dominant.

And that's exactly why you, BF2player, will never achieve something like that. Don't say it's impossible because it has been done time and time again. I mean, for instance I just read about a 12 year old that started some business in his garage a year ago and just made 6.5 million dollars in venture capital. It can and does happen.

You just need to offer something that no one has before or be able to improve on an existing idea.

good luck, you will need it.
I have one suggestion.
Allow people to upload long videos.
Youtube has it at 10min, so maybe make yours like 15min so then you clearly have one good advantage. Maybe even make it longer to give users more flexibility, though that would of course require more space on the server.

And that's exactly why you, BF2player, will never achieve something like that. Don't say it's impossible because it has been done time and time again. I mean, for instance I just read about a 12 year old that started some business in his garage a year ago and just made 6.5 million dollars in venture capital. It can and does happen.

You just need to offer something that no one has before or be able to improve on an existing idea.

Link to the kid that did this? I'd like to see what he did.

good luck, you will need it.
I have one suggestion.
Allow people to upload long videos.
Youtube has it at 10min, so maybe make yours like 15min so then you clearly have one good advantage. Maybe even make it longer to give users more flexibility, though that would of course require more space on the server.

Director's account's can upload longer.

Don't waste your time. Go find something else better to invest in.

As a webmaster, i've seen many of these "wanna-be" youtube clones with "better services" come in and out of our hosting and each one failed.

Youtube owns the monopoly of video uploads. Stage6 owns the dvd video upload center, Veoh Networks comes in second with Youtube.

You just can't "beat" Google. If you and your programmer buddies come up with a revolutionary new website system or service, then you can make millions. Until then, trying to step on the train with the big boys - you'll just get ran over.

A domain is $9.95 a year; doesn't mean anything. The only "better" services you could offer would be to pay people to upload their videos. It's not gonna happen.

Even IF you manage to create some special uploading site, how would you market it? Youtube owns all the search engine for video uploads. (Google Upload is the same thing.)

Back
Top Bottom