LongHorn & Microsoft

V-Man

Baseband Member
OK, I'm not sure where to start off, but I was wondering if anybody knew the current state of longhorn... I personally despise microsoft, but the most of the other computers in the world use Windows, so the games are for it......you get where Im going...

Anyway, can anybody tell me whats happening with it? It was supposed to be out like two years ago, and, voila, microsoft did it again, they were totally wrong about its release date...

What are you views on microsoft? Are they the next Enron?

--Pat Litke

Last I heard, it was pushed back to late 2006. That's after they've gotten rid of all the nifty things, like WinFS. Personally, I could care less. All I need is my handy Gentoo boot disk, and I'm good. Oh... how I love my Gentoo...

As for Microsoft, they'll be around for a long time. Not even close to Enron. They could screw up horribly, and still maintain a healthy share of the computer market. The only real threat I see to Microsoft is Google. In the end, that company is going to be holding the gun that shot Microsoft. But then again, I happen to believe Google is going to take over the world and install their search engine into our brains. Hmm... nifty idea.

world domination commin liek wut

Haha! Niffty idea, but what about the Open Source aspect of the world? There are thousands of people that work for open source to dominate, especially linux (and its other distros). Personally, I believe that Google MAY come down as a flaming ball of fire because it's growing so fast. I happen to love google, and I look up to it's founders. But I'm also worried for it. Anyway, I also think that Linux will eventually dominate, blowing Microshaft out of the water (please oh please oh please....etc). But in the end, I think that opensource will eventually take over.

No WinFS and no Avalon. Its merely a "nicer" looking Win XP. Which is still crap... I don't think GNU/Linux will overtake Windows anytime soon but it'll slowly eat into Microsoft's market share. 10-15% GNU/Linux market share will come very soon.

I cant wait untill GNU/Linux at least starts to eat into Microsoft's market share! That will be a beautifull day. I also can't wait untill longhorn comes out, and it turns into WinXP re-lived.

I was reading an article a while ago about how Opensource is really the next big thing, and how it has been used as a weapon against big market capacitors, such as Microsoft. If some distro of Linux was edited a little bit to look and work a little more like Windows XP, I think that that would do a whole lot to Microsoft. If we can get people to start to use that distro of Linux, than Microsoft would deffinetly feel the pressure. For example, RedHat has a little red hat as the 'start' button, but if we made a slightly different color button that read begin or something, than I believe that more and more peple would start to use it. At least that's my hope...

--Pat Litke

Back
Top Bottom