A little summer project

winslow33

Daemon Poster
My friend and I a little while back decided just for laughs we'd make a bit of a home-made go-kart. Bought a very small lawn tractor at a yard sale for $40 because the engine was dead beyond repair. We stripped it of all parts like the blade and so on and we were left with just the chasis. Then we got a used engine that fit in nice with a little work. Hooked it all up with a little 5-speed gearbox and 5L fuel tank. We got it running and my friend got on and rode it for a spin around the block, we can barely get it into 4th gear because the engines so surprisingly powerful it tries to flip :p We learned how to drive it with a top speed of about 60km/h before threatening to flip, and it handles surprisingly well. It's funny because it just looks like your driving a lawn tracor around town until you put it into 2nd or third gear :D When we both sit on it it pushes our combined weight of 378~ish pounds no problem.

Now we want to make a little addition to the project: a trailer. We wanted to do it homemade like the go-kart itself. Problem is I'm not sure where to start. Got a pair of old snowblower tires I'm thinking of using, thats about it.

By the way, we have a trailer hitch on the back of the cart. Not sure though where we are going to get the part of the hitch that goes on the actual trailer though.

Anybody want to throw some ideas into the mess?

Not sure where to get the parts for your trailer but I would love to see some pics of your go-cart. I can only imagine what it looks like.

Wish i could get into something like this. Mechanics really interests me, but i don't have the knowledge or garage space to do it i don't think.

We'll probably start working on it tomorow or the next day, I'll get some pictures. I need to try to fashion a muffler too because it has none and we need to scream over the noise :p

We just went to start up the go-kart. The pull cord rips on if my hand, and when we popped the top off the starter we realized we needed to buy a new starter, cord, and recoil spring. Electric start would be nice if we had $200 to spend on it. :(

What we're doing it wraping a rope around the flywheel that the pull cord originaly was on, and we just pull off the rope and it starts right up. Hell of a lot cheaper than a new starter :p

Back
Top Bottom