Kids on railway lines/tracks

Brookfield

Golden Master
Lately, in England, there is a big increase in fatalities, where young kids & teens are killed, either because they were playing near the rail tracks, or crossing them & getting electrocuted, I must confess that when I was about 10 or 11, we used to wait until we heard a train in the distance then scramble down a steep embankment, put pennies on the rail, hide behind bushes, then look for the pennies, keeping the squashed coins as trophies, English pennies in those days were huge, over an inch across, but still most were never found, the expresses, even in those days of steam, trains travelled at 100 mph on straight stretches, & the coins were flicked far & wide, the blue streamliner "Mallard" that still holds the world speed record for steam locomotives, [I think; 120 mph] used that line.
Anyway, leaving English kids foolishness behind, are there other countries where this happens, also English/Scottish might want to relate incidences, & yes, I know, I'll probably get some stick for my early capers, but, like nowadays kids, we had no fear.

Maurice.

Umm ... i have to cross Epping Station ever day i go to school (its finally the holidays just yesterday :) ) but no, nobody plays around the railway lines, there are security fences around it and surveillance around the area, i'm not so sure about the more remoter areas, Epping Station is EXTREMELY busy, simply because it is one of the main stations going to the city, but no doubt there have been some people who have broke in, its currently under renovation :)

Yeah, people around my area do the same thing. I did it once myself, but only once. I stuck quarters or something on the tracks in Sacramento...location doesn't really matter. Anyways, people all over the world do this kind of crap..its just a form of, uh, natural curiosity mixed with lifes way of helping the population under control.

A kid just died a week ago on the train tracks. it was two boys. they were 12 and they riding there bikes on the train tracks at night. One kid got off but the other didn't. I do feel sorry for him and his family but i can't stop thinking to my self that the kid kinda had it coming. being on a bike on railway tracks is alone a really stupid idea but at night too. it all comes down to common sence which most people don't have anymore.

Dishdog said:
A kid just died a week ago on the train tracks. it was two boys. they were 12 and they riding there bikes on the train tracks at night. One kid got off but the other didn't. I do feel sorry for him and his family but i can't stop thinking to my self that the kid kinda had it coming. being on a bike on railway tracks is alone a really stupid idea but at night too. it all comes down to common sence which most people don't have anymore.
You're so right.

dyserq said:
Umm ... i have to cross Epping Station ever day i go to school (its finally the holidays just yesterday :) ) but no, nobody plays around the railway lines, there are security fences around it and surveillance around the area, i'm not so sure about the more remoter areas, Epping Station is EXTREMELY busy, simply because it is one of the main stations going to the city, but no doubt there have been some people who have broke in, its currently under renovation :)

Epping? in the UK right, i live in harlow... that isnt too far away from epping...

theres quite a few people that commit suicide on the track at sawbridgeworth station, the stanstead express runs through there fast, so it cant stop...

anyone that plays on railway tracks is plain stupid.....

I haven't really heard of many cases of kids playing on tracks around here (though I'm sure it happens), but I've heard a lot about trainhopping and how a lot of people get hurt pretty badly or killed doing it.

Back
Top Bottom