The joys of being the only computer literate person in your house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I have 3 old computers that have 69 pin ram in them. only 1 is used, so I decide that I am going to put as much ram as I can in it, and then out of whats left put that in the computer that is occasionally used, and the remaing ram in the never used computer (frets on fire for parts basically) So I get a 128 sick out, and go to the computer, and my mom is using it. She e-mailing, and then asks me to help her set up an aim account. I start helping her with that, and for the security question, I tell her to just put a jumble of numbers and letters in to avoid that from being used to hijack her acct. my sister walks in, and tells her to put a real answer in incase she does forget her password (her 1 and ONLY password that is). She tells her to fill out the form accurately because they need to know and it will not work if it is fake (how the hell will they know if I wasn't born of August 17, 1947?) My mom listens to her, because she some how believes that she might forget her ONE password. (I have 7 ish that I remember perfectly thank you)

Anyways, I was gonna put the ram in after my mom was done, but as soon as my mom got up my sister sits down and starts using the computer. I tell her that I was going to use it and she say 'you have your own computer. You never need to use this one' I tell her that I was going to put ram in, and that it would make her computer faster, but she says its fine (5 minute load times for windows) and that I'll fuck it up. So I tell her that when I need to print out a paper that I don't want to spend 5 minutes waiting for the computer to load, and then go to my computer (100 feet away), save to her hard drive, then back to hers because she turned it off, then to mine to save, then back to print, and have a 10 hour routine to print a paper, and that she should just let me put it in so it is faster (I hate sitting for 5 minutes to log into a computer) and she says no still.

Long story short, I'm not allowed to do preventative work on her computer, but when something breaks its my fault and I'm stuck fixing it. I'm basically at the point where I'm gonna refuse to help her, and make her call ms for help on windows 98 (discontinued) and then she is told to buy a new comp, and then either I fix it (for $40), or she goes and buys a new computer. I'm sick of her not letting me do preventative maintenance (virus/spyware scans, defrags, clear cookies, ect) and then having to fix the problems that arise because of this.

Then my brother decides that he is too good to use a computer and throws fits to use my dads laptop. he then takes it to his room, and sets it on blankets as he works. I tell him that he is gonna ruin a $1300 computer, but all he says is "fuck you, it doesn't care"

My dad and my older sister are the only ones that accept the fact I am very smart with computers, and will accept my advise, although my dad still like to be very redundant with his problem solving.... but he listens to what I say.

And the funny thing is my dad will defrag my sister's computer and its fine, but I can't do that... Oh well, I'll just put the ram in tonight, and then never do anything with those computers again... even though I can't print share because the printer has to be installed on a computer with windows 98, and we can't spend $300 on parts for a new computer. I'll just have to find a way to get the printer hooked up to my computer, and I'll be golden.

LOL, I would tell them they can take care of it. My family knows that I know how to run a PC, and therefore lets me build and fix them.

LOL, I would tell them they can take care of it. My family knows that I know how to run a PC, and therefore lets me build and fix them.

yeah, basically "if I can't put ram in, what makes you think I can get rid of the BSOD?"

its their loss.
luckily my parents just let me sort all the pc's. so i can do anything i want :)

Well everyone in my house is computer literate except my Mom and Dad.
My mom one day asks me what a little paper clip next to an email means, so I'm like "o crap please don't click it".
Turns out that i got there just in time and it was junk mail, and it was a exe.
Scary how some one can screw up your computer so easily.
But im boarded and i want some experience so I'm probably going to reseat my heatsink on my old gateway and then maybe reseat the 5200FX with AS5 so when I can use that computer again then I will be all set.

Also a question that made my brother feel so stupid inside when I was in the process of ordering the parts was, "Can't you get a CPU and put it in this computer and then when the other parts come take it out and put it in the new one?"
Made me laugh.

Then my brother decides that he is too good to use a computer and throws fits to use my dads laptop. he then takes it to his room, and sets it on blankets as he works. I tell him that he is gonna ruin a $1300 computer, but all he says is "fuck you, it doesn't care"

hahahhahahaha, that exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Well, i didn't get that kind of answer back but one of my roommates was downstairs using his laptop on his bed. He was showing me something on Youtube when I notice PC Wizard was showing his CPU temp at 82 degrees celsius. Both cores too!!!!

I told him that he had better work on the table because the uneven surface of the blanket blocks the vents pretty good so it wasn't getting proper cooling. Sure enough, his fans were running loud and for a pretty long time too. So he put it on his desk. Just like that, the temps began to climb down. Man, I shouldn't have said anything and let it burn huh? Then I can pretend to be all smart and pretend to diagnose his laptop even though I already know the problem is his fried CPU.

I just let my 3 little brothers break my Dad's computer then laugh when he wasn't clever enough to let me help him fix it. :)

People trust me with their computers pretty much. If I were you, I would go to the store and buy a $20 printer, and than dont fix your sisters computer anymore.

holy crap its like a parellel dimension!!!! same shit goes down in my house lmao.... except its my laptop that my brother likes to lay down on his blankets..... oh GOD its gets me TIGHT! and if something on one of the computers in my house goes wrong...its my fault of course....

haha, thats almost exactly how it is for me too, everybody in my family is a retard when it comes to computers, except me. whenever something breaks im blamed for it and expected to fix it. same for all the tvs and such. i know how you feel. most of the time my family listens to me when i say something though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom