Instagram users...head's up

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos | Politics and Law - CNET News

Instagram said today that it has the perpetual right to sell users' photographs without payment or notification, a dramatic policy shift that quickly sparked a public outcry... ...The new intellectual property policy, which takes effect on January 16, comes three months after Facebook completed its acquisition of the popular photo-sharing site. Unless Instagram users delete their accounts before the January deadline, they cannot opt out.

Under the new policy, Facebook claims the perpetual right to license all public Instagram photos to companies or any other organization, including for advertising purposes, which would effectively transform the Web site into the world's largest stock photo agency. One irked Twitter user quipped that "Instagram is now the new iStockPhoto, except they won't have to pay you anything to use your images."

Another unusual addition to Instagram's new policy appears to immunize it from liability, such as class action lawsuits, if it makes supposedly private photos public. The language stresses, twice in the same paragraph, that "we will not be liable for any use or disclosure of content" and "Instagram will not be liable for any use or disclosure of any content you provide."
Yet another addition says "you acknowledge that we may not always identify paid services, sponsored content, or commercial communications as such." That appears to conflict with the Federal Trade Commission's guidelines that say advertisements should be listed as advertisements.

Sounds like a clever idea to me.

Not being an Instagram user it doesn't particularly bother me but from a business prospective, then it is extremely clever.

I'm not sure how they will get away with saying all existing photos can be used for their commercial gain but certainly they have a right to insist all new uploaded photos can be used (providing a user *reads* the Ts&Cs and accepts them).

Back
Top Bottom