help needed

Kage

Golden Master
Hey, I could do with a bit of help from you lot. I don't really know what could have happened.

In the past, I have made an account with a forum of a electronics site.

Yesterday, I went onto this electronics site after a very long time, and looked around. I didn't enter the forum area, and I didn't try to log in.

I just checked, and my computer wasn't saving my account details, so, it was asking me to log in at the top, so it wasn't remembering me.

Anyhow, I'm a bit freaked, because I just got an e-mail, saying that someone has tried to access my account, and tried 5 times and failed, so it has been locked out.

What could this mean? Its weird if you ask me... Since I haven't been on it in ages, and I haven't logged in, how has someone tried, today to put my username in and try 5 passwords?

It seems like someone knew I entered that site, and also knew my username (its different)

...help :(

EDIT:

I just requested to reset my password, but is that a good idea? Maybe someones accessed my e-mail, so that if I request a password change, and choose one. THey'd have access to quite a lot.
My only idea is to choose a new one.

EDIT 2:

A new password was e-mailed to me, from random letters and numbers. I won't bother going on that forum again, so I won't bother changing it. it's untraceable now as far as I know.
Its ages since I've been on it.

I'm just a bit worried how someones even... I don't know.

That's.. really weird. I mean if it just coincidentally happened today, the same day that you went on for the first time in a while, maybe someone near your computer tried to get on ( though I have no idea why they would do that )? I'd just stay away from that forum, doesn't exactly bode well when the first time you go on it in a while this kind of stuff occurs.

hopefully someone you know or a random hacker isnt watching your every movement online. i mean with a simple vnc program i can watch my desktop without being noticed, and it works over the internet.

maybe it was just random though, as long as nothing else bad happens why worry

yh it may just be a forum error with your cookies when it asked you to log in it might have thought there was a cookie in your browser that remembered your password or somehing stupid like that.

maybe the default on the forum is to save your password. and that cookie that says u want your password saved is actually on the forum not your computer.

so the forum thinks this guy wants his password saved but since u have cleared your cookies it doesnt match your setting so maybe it just confused itself.

thats 1 option or the other is that you were being hacked/monitored.

or coincedently some plank with no idea about computers was browsing the useres picked your name and tried some random passwords.....

but as i say coincidently

Yeah, but thats the weird thing, that it happened without me logging in, on the day I went on it for the first time in like a year. Doesn't make any sense.

The IP address of the person that tried was left in the e-mail too, and its not mine.

Just a bit worrying because I run online banking and the like.

I ran a spyware scan and only got a few click ones that I removed. Nothing that would cause any serious issues.

Anyhow, lets just hope they did just pick at random.

At least I'm safe, if they do know my usernames, that my passwords are rather unhackable, at least in the software sense.

ok well i hope that they dont do anything more to ya.

i mean alot of us here are probably able to steal something or another off of some1's computer but its just not worth it the people that do that are scum.

lets hope they were just trying to do smoething funny on the foum with your username.

still not a nice thing to do but atleast its nothing too serious

Well, I found out the ISP of the IP and gave them an e-mail stating for support in this matter.

A mate helped me search, and found many more people as backup, stating that they had had the same thing happening to them on many forums, from the same IP address.

Ah don't worry. They didn't get that password, and that one for that forum was less protected than this one.

Back
Top Bottom