Geocaching, anyone do it?

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
Geocaching is like a big treasure hunt via GPS. You go to the website www.geocaching.com and search any location you like to find any geocaches that are around. They give GPS coordinates for the location of the item and you input them into your GPS and go find it. They usually have a log book that you sign, sometimes little trinkets that you take one and leave one, I've even heard of one that had a camera in it.

Unfortunately I can't, I don't have a GPS. The GPS I have on my phone (VZNavigator) is pretty much worthless for that. Gets you around the roads good, but going off the road is pretty much off limits. I heard about this from one of my friends and it seemed really interesting to me, too bad I can't do it. Anyway, you guys should check it out. Check in your areas and see how many of the geocaches are hidden in your area. I was surprised to find that there are 7 of them within 2 miles of my house.

If anyone does it and finds anything interesting, post up some pics, I'd be interested to know what you find.

I did geocaching when I was in college then the guy with the gps wasn't there anymore and I have done it since. It was a lot of fun.

perhaps the google maps nav on my droid would work enough. idk

but im interested in doing this.
just no one here wants to go.

I was airsofting in some woods near my house a few years back and over the summer my buddies and I came across two geocaches. They were pretty cool, we never started, but it was awesome to come across them randomly.

perhaps the google maps nav on my droid would work enough. idk

but im interested in doing this.
just no one here wants to go.

There is an App in the Android Market for that. It's great.

I've done some Geocaching - There are a fair few near me.

Yeah, there are Android apps and Iphone apps made just for this. You can also hide one and post it on the website, anyone can do it.

I've downloaded an iphone app to do it, thinking it'd be pretty cool.

but am yet to actually leave my house to do it.

What sucks about some places though is that they aren't mapped very well. I don't do Geocaching but know some people who do. I personally do wardriving.

PS: I work with GPS equipment that have subfoot accuracy XD

What sucks about some places though is that they aren't mapped very well. I don't do Geocaching but know some people who do. I personally do wardriving.

PS: I work with GPS equipment that have subfoot accuracy XD

I wasn't aware that GPS to that accuracy existed outside of the military?

geo caching with the Galileo stuff would be pretty awesome though for accuracy. (if that hadn't been stymied).

Back
Top Bottom