Free FTP server!

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, well, because I now have my laptop, I no longer need to my PC, except for the odd game, etc..and I bought a 30GB HDD the other day for like £5, so I have 110GB altogether, so I have decided to put it in the cupboard, and use it as an FTP server..

I got a wireless card today, so speeds wont be amazing..but, how would some people like to use it..I would have a 1GB limit per person, and I will start off with maybe 15-20 users, and then maybe, IF more people want to start using it, I may buy another HDD, and add more users, and evan start charging..and go wired, so it would be slightly faster..

Im going to get it properly ready tonight..installing Windows 2003 Server, and then proberly xlight..or apache..something like that..

I just though people might want to host images from it or something, but im going to use it anyway..

Let me know if you want in anyway..

There's no way NTL will like that.

They run upstream traffic shaping these days, if I'm not mistaken.

Crabby... said:
Nice idea joxley, but it will not work. Your ISP will not like it. And using PhotoBucket/imageshack is alot easier.

u actually have that strict ISP's? I can host/share & download anything I want 24/7 and they won't care. We don't have any bandwidth limits or anything like that.

UK31337 said:
There's no way NTL will like that.

They run upstream traffic shaping these days, if I'm not mistaken.

I've done it before, and I didn't get any complaints, we got a restrictor anyway..so it's all cool..

It's not too bad here, but I have a friend who has NTL, and his speeds are horrable..

It would do the job for simple image hosting, etc..

If anyone is interested, im installing Windows 2003 Server as we speak, so will proberly finish it up by tomorrow..

hmmm...

indeed... most NTL services do have a download cap. (remember that people uplaoding something to you uses your download traffic since it's traffic into your machine.

also whilst NTL don't cap uploads, (as far as I can see from therir site) they do what they call upload shaping, (they say it's to stiffle P2P applications... basically if you upload a lot (or if people download a lot from your server), then they will limit your upload streat throttling your connection...

it's a nice idea. but are you really sure that you want to inconvinience yourself so much at the detriment of your own service?

Ill see how it goes, but I certanily could use it..let's see how it goes..ill have a final crack at doing it tonight, meant to do it y/day, but work and college kinda got in the way..

Our speeds have improved though [I think] a few weeks ago, it was 50Kpbs down, MAX, and now, were getting 190!

Back
Top Bottom