Fixed a RROD xbox last night

superman22x

Golden Master
My friend and I fixed a buddies xbox that RROD'd a few months back. This is the third one my friend fixed, and the first I fixed. So far it's still working and we used it for a few hours last night to play music. Not sure if any of you guys have any broken 360s, but if you are interested, it's not hard at all.

Basically, all you need is x8 M5(12mm) screws, x32 nylon or non conductive washers, x16 steal washers, a drill, and some thermal paste. All that needs to be done is tighten the heatsinks on the CPU and GPU and put some fresh thermal paste on. From the factory, the heatsinks are held on with shitty X-clamps. Changing these to bolts helps tighten them down and keeps the xbox from overheating which is the most common RROD problem.

i did this on my xbox a few years back, The problem kept comming back so I sold my xbox :( I cant believe so many people had the RROD

I've heard you have to do the install of the heatsinks with a lot of precision to make them even. Almost like installing heads on an engine. Torque each bolt a little bit instead of just tightening the first one all the way which will cause it to sit unevenly. So far it's worked for all 3 xboxs for my friend, and he did the one early in August I think. But the one we fixed last night was a first generation, so we shall see if it lasts or not...

I'm scared of ever trying to buy the Kinect with my system because of a reports of the update causing instability and RROD's with older generation models.

I managed to fix 1 last night as well by some miracle lol!!

I went into this as a complete amature and did no research at all.

Basically i had an old xbox where the CD drive had died and my mate had an old RROD xbox an he said i could have it. So i plugged em both in to double check they were both broke lol.

my plan was to switch the CD drive from the RROD to the other 1, not realising the complications you have with Drive keys!!

After an hour or so of tinkering i realised my chipset couldnt read the xbox CD drives, so i wasnt able to do it. Was going to play with the firmware after i started googling :p but anyway i couldnt so no illegals here lol

but cutting a long story short, gave up after an hour or so put both xbox's back together took the RROD round my mates house turned it on and it worked lol, we spent the next hour playing Fifa on it with no problem????

RROD is mainly from overheating, so it may not last... Try what I posted next. It just helps it cool better. Could always make a custom case for the xbox otherwise so it's bigger with much better air flow.

After reading this I decided to try and fix my old 360 with the E74 error.
Basically I followed a you tube video where you take off the GPU heatsink, turn it on and let it overheat, then put the heat sink back on with new thermal paste.
Low and Behold it worked, lol.
Went ahead and did the fan shroud mod while it was apart to hopefully help the cooling.
We will see if it lasts or not.

Back
Top Bottom