Find me a net book? Oh wait.

Half Evil

Golden Master
I really wanted one till I read this, although done last year..... still.

They are small, cheap, under-powered, and run either an old or unfamiliar operating system.

Whats peoples take on these new laptops. I still want one, but I have alot of research to do before I buy one (graduation money - yay!).

Do people enjoy them?

Microsoft arbitrarily restricts Netbooks from running the Professional Edition of Windows XP.

I'm not 100% sure MS can restrict this? What if we reformatted with it? Or put on Vista? Windows 7 when it came out????? (not that I would want to with the hardware, but still a valid question).

I bought my boss this one

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX24262(ME).aspx

I had it upgraded to 2 gigs of Ram from 1 gig.......I took it home one night to set it up for him and I loved it. Granted the screen is a bit small but thats the point.

This one gets about 8 - 9 hours of battery life which is awesome. With 2 gigs of Ram it ran perfect, I had multiple apps opened at once.

They are good for office stuff, emails, internet etc.... Def not a gaming machine except for flash web games, those run fine.

LOL. No they dont. Morgan has an ACER mini from costco. its running XP pro. 1gb ram, 1.7 ATOM processor, and 160gb hdd. only 300 dollars. go pick one up. vista would NOT run well because of hardware specs. same with 7.

7 might... its a great little os i think.

Anyways, can someone fill me in on the operating system restrictions? Aside from hardware crap, how could I not reformat to whatever I freaking wanted?

My friend has an Lenovo netbook, and we installed XP pro on it just fine. Though we did it with an USB since netbooks doesn't have any optical drives (unless purchased an add-on), or you can do it remotely. But I think it was installed with XP pro to begin with.

I'm assuming that you are taking the restriction quote from here?
http://news.cnet.com/what-is-a-netbook-computer/

I think the reason why theres an restriction might be because its what divides a netbook as a netbook. But I can't find anything about OS restriction. So I guess I can't really help you with that, and don't know if it is true or not.

(Good thing for the Firefox restore previous session, W7 crashed as soon as I finished typing. :D )

LOL. No they dont. Morgan has an ACER mini from costco. its running XP pro. 1gb ram, 1.7 ATOM processor, and 160gb hdd. only 300 dollars. go pick one up. vista would NOT run well because of hardware specs. same with 7.

7 is meant to work well with Atom Processors... Although there is no such thing as a 1.7GHz Atom, so he might have the Celeron?

Do people enjoy them?

Depends at who you're looking at. These are meant to be companion computers to your full fledged notebook or desktop, and they perform adequately in that role.

No such thing as a 1.7 Atom Processor. There is either the N270 or the N280. The N280 has a stock clock speed of 1.66GHZ with a FSB of 667MHZ

The N270 has a stock clock speed of 1.6 GHZ with a FSB of 533 MHZ.

1000HE. I love it. Works very good, I used mine for coding, simple graphic edits and more.

Vampist, did you upgrade it to 2 gigs of Memory or leave it at the stock 1 gig? Because if you havent its well worth the upgrade. They run awesome on 2 gigs and its a cheap upgrade

Back
Top Bottom