Do You Support The Death Penalty?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So at the moment you may be hearing a lot about the Bali Nine in particular Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan who are just two of the people being executed tonight. Now the title says it all do you support the death penalty? I don't agree with the punishment but they did this knowing the consequence's and at the time they would've had families to provide for. They've been rehabilitated and the evidence is there to prove it but the Indonesian President has no sign of showing any mercy. The government is just going overboard with blocking half the town off near the port to ferry to island and its just to anger Australia even more like when they were transferred.

I did a report on this in college where you had to take the opposite view of what you believe. I'm all for the death penalty, so I had to write the paper in the prospective of being against it. The only real argument against the death penalty is that it is not a deterrent to crime. The biggest problem with it being a deterrent was the unequal application of it. For example, in some states here, men of dark skin (they're not "African American"... they didn't come from Africa, they're United States Citizens like the rest of us) are sentenced to death in-proportionately more than whites. So how can anything be effective if it's not consistent? It simply can't.

The death penalty would be great if everything were clear as day... you kill someone, you die. You rape a kid, you die. You rob a bank, you die. It would be effective, but our justice system isn't fair, so it's just another random punishment someone might get.

I definitely don't support it, it's been used on too many innocent people to justify it...

What right have we got to decide whether somebody lives or dies? Why is it any different to murder just because a committee or jury has decided to kill somebody instead of an individual on the street... (who would be called a murderer...)

What right have we got to decide whether somebody lives or dies?

Well, to that I answer, the same right that person unduly took when they murdered another.

Taking human life should always be sacred and never 'at the stroke of a pen.' However, in the same light, putting criminals in quarters with other criminals doesn't make them better people. Sure, you might hear a "Jesus saved me" story every now and then, but it's not often.

I look at this the same way I look at PCs. If I get a defective laptop from Lenovo... I send that $*** back to the manufacturer. I mean, let's approach pedophilia objectively. Is sexual preference a choice? Well no, it's not. I like girls and that's how it is. If someone likes kids, well I don't see that changing. If they can't keep their hands off, well it's time RMA their @$$.

A hard point of view I know, but sometimes a bleeding heart for bad people doesn't make you a savior, it makes you a martyr.

Debates are good as long as nobody takes anything personal... I'm sure joe realizes that my post is an opinion and nothing more, just as I respect his opinion for what it is.

IMHO It hasn't worked because the executions take place behind closed doors. The criminal public doesn't see the accused die. Now before you beat me up over methods of execution not working so well, let me stop and say I agree with that observation. Shoot them or hang them I say. These methods do work and they are quick. Execution by toxic gas and by lethal injection have way too many problems associated with them. Gas has the clean up issues after the convicted is dead and lethal injection has a long laundry list of failures and botched attempts like the tube coming out of the needle or the convicted having a high tolerance to the sedative used.

But having said all that, I really think you should be executed in the manner you committed your crime. But since that's not possible, hang them or shoot them. Either way they are executed and it's over. But the American public needs to stop being a bunch of bleeding hearts in favor of the convicted. On the day the accused is sentenced take them to the town square and get it over with. Appeals shapeals, Courts will have to be damn sure the person did the crime with out a shadow of a doubt. If there is the slightest doubt then give them their appeals. Don't wind up executing an innocent person. But if it's a cut and dried case, take them and get it over with.

Absolutely, I wouldn't take it personally, I can see exactly where you're coming from, it's just down to your personal attitude on it to be honest, I'm all for a punishment which equals the crime though, so if a paedophile has molested children, then they need to be sexually assaulted in a way which makes them feel humiliated and violated! ;)

I think the death penalty itself is fair IF you know for sure the crime was committed, with intent, with understanding, and the crime was murder.

The problem is there are too many grey areas, some people have mental illnesses, some crimes are unintentional, and the person may actually be innocent, and if the person is acquitted of a crime after their punishment, it's no good if they're already dead. ;p

Not a fan of it at all - there's way, way too many cases of innocent people being executed because of it, and the trend isn't slowing down either. Just take the recently revealed bogus hair "forensic" analysis that has sentenced some to death and imprisoned many others.

Quite honestly, in the wake of evidence like this, there's not much "evidence" that I'd trust with 100% certainty to convict someone. We live in an age where it's very easy to doctor evidence (20 years ago not many could convincingly photoshop an image, these days many could) and where courts seem to increasingly accept scientific jargon they don't understand just because it sounds impressive.

Death penalty for murder/rape/genocide/etc when there is absolutely no doubt as to guilt? yes, I'd support that.

Death penalty for drugs offences? no, absolutely not.

tl;dr use of the death penalty at nuremburg was acceptable, use of it on drug dealers is not.

Back
Top Bottom