Certifications that are Worthwhile?

here2learn1

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, new to the forums here and I wanted to borrow your ears(or your eyes) for a moment.

While I have no direct line of sight of my intentions, I am working on creating a stronger resume over this next year before I head back to school(for engineering, electrical/computer based) Of course, I don't need to be able to achieve these certifications necessarily within this year-long hiatus, I just need something to work towards.

I am here to ask you all what Certifications you all believe are valuable today(and ones that don't cost and arm and a leg preferably); I am not looking to spend my life in this field necessarily and become some awesome CCIE Certified nut. My goal is to achieve some basic qualifications that not only look good on paper, but ones that will help me keep up with the ever-growing digital age. As a side note, I plan on using these skills as a "plan-B" at any time.

I know this query is quite vague, however I believe in this situation I just need a little guidance to get the ball rolling. I have be working with computers(hardware and software) for a number of years and I am familiar with many languages(nothing too extensive) and platforms and I consider myself capable at the least.

Thank You for Your Time

Further thoughts, would an organization like Comptia . org be worthwhile?

Damn, I was under the impression that compTIA A+ was not nearly as expensive as it is..$449

I will seek out an alternative site for this certification.

**Edit**

I found that the itself is only $178 USD so I am going to see what I can manage as far as studying on my own and not using their crazy 6 month course.

Last edited:
For entry level positions a certification or two might help.

For non-entry level positions, and I don't want to discourage you, but when I look through resumes of potential job candidates I tend to ignore certifications, especially those with a long list of certifications. I'm looking for experience and deep knowledge of that particular position.

I took the Comptia A+ with only using a book to study from. I passed it with relative ease - the 2nd time around :p.

Once hired, certification will probably expire - I didn't realize there was an experation - put experience will win over certifications most (all) of the time I would think.

Also, my school offered a significant discount on the exam - as well as the Microsoft exams - so it might be worth looking into to see if your school does before you decide to take it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom