Car Subwoofer??

_-..zKiLLA..-_

Fully Optimized
i have one sitting in my closet not being used :( but i have a real nice receiver missing a subwoofer :( but my receiver has a special output for a subwoofer and its a single RCA connector. so i wasn't sure what to do about this situation. In all home subwoofers there is usually an amp in the subwoofer its self and has heatsink lookin thing comin out of the back (thats the amp) so i was thinking if i cut a whole in the sub box and then wire it up would it work? of course bying an amp

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=505

and the sub is a 10" kicker, but its a really old model and cant really tell you. i think this may be it http://www0.shopping.com/xPF-Kicker-C12

would this work?

i have one sitting in my closet not being used :( but i have a real nice receiver missing a subwoofer :( but my receiver has a special output for a subwoofer and its a single RCA connector. so i wasn't sure what to do about this situation. In all home subwoofers there is usually an amp in the subwoofer its self and has heatsink lookin thing comin out of the back (thats the amp) so i was thinking if i cut a whole in the sub box and then wire it up would it work? of course bying an amp

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=505

and the sub is a 10" kicker, but its a really old model and cant really tell you. i think this may be it http://www0.shopping.com/xPF-Kicker-C12

would this work?

thats your problem there, sub woofers work best when they are in a completely air tight box if you cut a whole in it your gonna let all the air escape and it wont be as crisp

Don't cut any holes in your box, that would not be smart. If you bought an amp that is made for home audio that you can wire the sub up to it will work just fine. Don't buy a car amplifier for use in your house unless you want to spend money on a dc converter and they get pretty spendy and you might as well have bought a sub made for home audio.

thats your problem there, sub woofers work best when they are in a completely air tight box if you cut a whole in it your gonna let all the air escape and it wont be as crisp

technically that's not true.

a completly sealed box is the least efficient design for a subwoofer.

depending on the size of the box and the size, shape and positioning of the hole will depend on what sort of hole may be best. and the positioning of the speaker withint the box, and what it faces.

typically the smallest loud design is a reflex cab, this has a hole (port) the size and shape of the hole is made to tune the cab to a specific frequency (usually a very low frequency) to help prevent the natural roll off of the frequncy response.

there is software out there to help design these style of cabs, (winISD is good).

anyway... that's besides the point because you're not making a speaker cabinet, you already have one!

are you trying to put a home cinema sub in your car.
or a car sub in your home cinema?

im not worried about the box guys. i just wanna know if it'll work. and its actually a 2 12" box but it has the kicker sub and some POS crap on the other side. and if i do this im probably just gonna put it on the other side

It's a speaker, as long as you have a way to power it, it will work. You are going to want to find an amplifier that you can plug into an AC outlet though since you want to use it in your house. It's just a speaker, as long as you have a way to power it there is no reason it should work. Depending on the box and the exact type and size of the sub it may not sound great for certain things. You'll also want some type of a crossover as well.

Not necessarily, you can get ported subs which I think always add to the rumble effect :D

Back
Top Bottom