Best Mic for Recording

Holysky

Fully Optimized
What would be the best Mic for Recording my Guitar Amp? I also want to record through my computer using audacity or a similar program.

Maybe not even a Mic i just want to record my Guitar onto my PC with the best Quality under $100

If that's the case (and providing the amp is of a reasonable quality) then the best thing to do would be to mic the amp rather than take a feed straight from the guitar into the PC. An electric guitar amp gives it a lot of its characteristic sound "colour", taking the feed straight from the guitar without the amp will most likely sound crap.

The industry standard for this sort of thing is the Shure SM57 which should fit the bill nicely - point it right up against the amp towards the centre. The Audix i5 is a nice competitor, I actually marginally prefer it. In the UK you can also usually pick up one for a bit cheaper than a 57.

If I'm correct Doesn't the Shure use an XLR connection? I've been using my 2 dollar desktop mic, but you can guess how that turns out.

Shure does use XLR on all of its mics yes - but that's a standard and a good thing. You'll only find the minijack connectors on the cheapest of PC mics which you really want to avoid!

If you don't have one already you'll need an audio interface (USB) that provides XLR sockets. It's another expense though, you won't get a decent one and a decent mic for your budget - in fact I'd be looking at around that budget for each individual item!

If you're serious about recording I'd say go for the interface, it's a worthwhile investment.

If you don't want to then samson do USB mics that are pretty decent for the price, check out the c01u and c03u. Careful though, they're condenser mics and their maximum SPL handling probably isn't that high as a result - so turn the amp right up and you run the risk of breaking them!

Wow, that is a lot, guess i won't be recoding for a bit.. Wait, can't i just get a better soundcard, plug in a guitar cable into the microphone jack, then get a 1/8 jack and plug it into the soundcard? I wouldn't be bale to hear myself though, would i?

Wow, that is a lot, guess i won't be recoding for a bit..
You could always get a decent interface then a relatively low end Behringer mic (something like the xm8500.) It'll still work with recording your guitar perfectly reasonably and you can then upgrade when you have the cash / desire.

Wait, can't i just get a better soundcard, plug in a guitar cable into the microphone jack, then get a 1/8 jack and plug it into the soundcard?
Not quite sure what you're saying here - you plug a cable into the mic jack on your pc and then plug it in the better soundcard on your pc?

You could always get a decent interface then a relatively low end Behringer mic (something like the xm8500.) It'll still work with recording your guitar perfectly reasonably and you can then upgrade when you have the cash / desire.

What do you mean by an interface? a Pre-Amp?

Not quite sure what you're saying here - you plug a cable into the mic jack on your pc and then plug it in the better soundcard on your pc?

Yes

What do you mean by an interface? a Pre-Amp?
A box that plugs in via USB and provides a number of audio inputs / outputs to and from your PC (with a couple of those often being XLR inputs.) They'll contain preamps on the XLR inputs (and some USB interfaces are just designed with this in mind, see http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTUSBDPPS)

I think I'm missing something... what on earth is that going to do if it's just going to and from your PC?!

Back
Top Bottom