Amazing how fiction sparks thought

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
I was reading a book i found on the Kindle store today, 'Plague' - The basic synopsis of this book is that the Bubonic Plague/Black Death returns to England and spreads the length and breadth of the nation, killing just about everyone.

This sort of sparked an interest at the back of my mind to read up on the Plague (I've always been into History, but the 14th century wasn't a big one on my list of interests). Following the Pandemic that wiped out 30-60% of Europe's population, the pathogen strain responsible never actually died out, it just never had another outbreak of that magnitude.

There have been outbreaks of the plague in the late 19th century, early 20th century, and even as recently as the last 10 years.

So, given the right set of circumstances, we could be facing another bubonic plague pandemic in the future. Scary.

Theoretically, but much, much less likely (especially in developed countries) these days.

Thing is that these days we have antibiotics to pretty reliably treat it if caught within the first 24 hours, and in developed countries we have the media available to educate people on the signs and symptoms so they should *know* within the first 24 hours whether to get help. We also understand the route cause of it, and can therefore contain and eliminate it much more effectively than previously (when they thought it was bad air or whatever.)

Back
Top Bottom