Posting rule amendment suggestion

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Quoted from the rules page
Do not ask for or offer activation codes for software, links to Bit Torrents, instructions for breaking in to web sites, e-mail, message services, or software.
End quote

There have been 2 threads that I have seen that IMHO stinks like yesterdays diapers. One just flat out ask how to remove a password from a computer and nothing else. Then the other has a conflicting story.

I wrote the original rules for this place a while back and the only thing left that remotely looks familiar is the quoted statement above. I firmly believe if there is not an amendment to this rule some one is going to post how to hack passwords, either bios or software, and there's going to be some repercussions from it.
Maybe have it read something like this >

Do not ask for or offer activation codes for software, links to Bit Torrents, instructions for breaking in to web sites, e-mail, message services, or software. Software will include operating systems and bios passwords.

JanetH and the powers that be for this forum, this is just a suggestion. It's not meant to question any one's authority or cause any issues. :hide:

Good point. If I'm being honest, regardless of how it makes me look, I've never once looked at the rules page and until just now (because I went looking) didn't even know where the link to the page was (and still couldn't be bothered to click it). It would be much easier from a mod perspective, if we closed/deleted any thread asking for help to get around a password as a rule violation (and included a message about never really knowing the true purpose of why they are asking).

As I see it also, the link to the rules needs to be duplicated in the links at the top of the main page. Maybe in bold or blinking in red till they at least click it and pretend they read them. Because they are at the bottom of the screen where no man has gone before, they tend to get missed or ignored.

Last edited:
setishock said:
As I see it also, the link to the rules needs to be duplicated in the links at the top of the main page. Maybe in bold or blinking in red till they at least click it and pretend they read them. Because they are at the bottom of the screen where no man has gone before, they tend to get missed or ignored.

Yes in certain sections of the forum have a description saying these things, We dealt with a case of offering bit torrent uploads last week..

Can I just offer a slight ammendment to what you propose. Albeit I agree with the reasons why you are bringing these in, but what about two suggestions:

The torrents - how about you make this apply to copyright material only? As there's plenty of legal uses of torrents.

The links to software and/or OS - again how about allowing links to open source and original, untouched OEM CD's (such as Windows 7 and 8 disc images that are available from digitalriver, legally if you have a COA) - this is a god send if you actually want to get the software legally if you have the correct license but no discs, a regular occurance with todays PC's that you buy that comes with malware and no OEM disc.

Again, I understand perfectly where you're coming from, but to clear up some abiguity can you clarify if these sorts of links would be allowed?

Can I just offer a slight ammendment to what you propose. Albeit I agree with the reasons why you are bringing these in, but what about two suggestions:

The torrents - how about you make this apply to copyright material only? As there's plenty of legal uses of torrents.

The links to software and/or OS - again how about allowing links to open source and original, untouched OEM CD's (such as Windows 7 and 8 disc images that are available from digitalriver, legally if you have a COA) - this is a god send if you actually want to get the software legally if you have the correct license but no discs, a regular occurance with todays PC's that you buy that comes with malware and no OEM disc.

Again, I understand perfectly where you're coming from, but to clear up some abiguity can you clarify if these sorts of links would be allowed?

I completely agree, I don't see any reason why posting a "legal" torrent wouldn't be allowed.

Clearing a bios password? Is this really that big of an issue? Cracking a LM hash, sure, but a bios password?

There have been 2 threads that I have seen that IMHO stinks like yesterdays diapers. One just flat out ask how to remove a password from a computer and nothing else. Then the other has a conflicting story.

I locked and hid offending posts in the BIOS pw thread.

Please report post on the second one you're referring to.

Clearing a bios password? Is this really that big of an issue? Cracking a LM hash, sure, but a bios password?

It is when you consider the audience. In my line of work, I see how very clueless the majority of people are with technology. The skill level difference between hash cracking and removing a BIOS password shouldn't warrant a green light for something potentially unethical, however trivial.

Threads will be searchable through engines so everyone has access. Not like it doesn't exist elsewhere but not something we want to assist with.

It's not meant to question any one's authority or cause any issues. :hide:

No issues, thanks for raising concern.

I ask out of ignorance so take no offense; what torrents are legitimate outside of Linux Distro's?

I agree that if the content is not illegal, then that doesn't violate the intent of the rule so should be okay. A simple matter of sentence structure shouldn't 'shoot hostages'.

I imagine there will need to be some discussion about that, but IMHO that shouldn't be frowned upon either.

Last edited:

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I ask out of ignorance so take no offense; what torrents are legitimate outside of Linux Distro's?

Well my point was more to do with any legal torrent and, as I stated while trying not to step on people toes here, highlighting that there shouldn't be any abiguity when making rules and as such I was just looking for clarification over the use of legal torrents, regardless if it's only Linux distro's or otherwise. It's best to point out that this is purely for copyright reasons, and preventing any possible litigation against CF, as opposed to just a blanket ban against torrents.

But you seemed to have cleared that up. I'll act as though there's simply a common sense approach being used. Not that I have posted links before... or that I can remember doing so.

Well my point was [...] that there shouldn't be any abiguity when making rules and as such I was just looking for clarification over the use of legal torrents, regardless if it's only Linux distro's or otherwise.

I agree that copyright infringement is our primary concern regarding torrents and that legal torrents should be treated the same as any other freeware post.

It's best to point out that this is purely for copyright reasons, and preventing any possible litigation against CF, as opposed to just a blanket ban against torrents.

[...] I'll act as though there's simply a common sense approach being used.

I don't imagine it to be an issue but would wait until a consensus is reached with the rest of the team.

All,
The rules have been updated to cover many of the comments in this thread. Please review the updated rules around passwords/links.

Thanks for your feedback.

Keep postin'

Back
Top Bottom