Ideas

Half Evil

Golden Master
We need something new and fun.

This forum is approaching 20,000 members, and we still only have 40 main continuously posting members.

We need something to liven the place up..

Sigs and avatars are out.

I still think avatars should be implemented because the mods can moderate them.

Or sigs should be implemented, because the new infraction system lets us give a specific infraction for a signature violation.

Anyways...

Something that would be cool, and could be done with out stress is new smilies.

Something like this..

just a bunch of random ass things that are fun and would liven up the forum. trust me, it needs it. this forum is teenage, and preteen based. they have short attention spans. its not an adult from that needs to be kept professional, you need something to grab them and keep them here.

_________

also another thing that we need to look at is the forums. we have social lounge and general computer stuff.

those are the only two main ones that get used

what you should do is break up the hardware/software into two different sections on the main page and then break it up into big, small sections.

it would look like this..

General
-Social Lounge
Talk about non computer related topics, share interests and hobbies or, if you have just registered, come and introduce yourself.

-General computer talk
[show off your rig etc etc.

The sub forums here would be media, reviews, and gallery

-CF suggestions comments and feedback

-communications

-forsale

Technical
-Computer Hardware
Talk about anything computer hardware related. intel vs amd and nvidia vs ati
Sub forums here would be ati vs nvidia and intel vs amd
-Computer Software

Discuss anything from photoshop to windows to gadgets

Webhosting
-Shared and Dedicated Hosting and sever administration

-Web programming and design

-review and advertising board

take out completely security and backing and operating systems.

then get a fresh new skin. have a variety for people to chose from.

See this is the best comparison I can find.

Its 1:02 am pacific time.

we have two members on. myself counting as one.

this other site, happens to be ephatch.com has less members then us, but 163 members on.

we dont even get that during the day here. but yet they have that many at 1 in the morning.

am i making my point clear? that we dont have enough long term members for the number of members we have.

that something can be done to improve the forum. and we need it as user friendly as possible. make it look interesting, and look fun.

i mean we have the people here to keep a member, but the lack of interesting things and entertainment is driving them away. from time to time i find myself bored here, wishing more was happening.

Yeah, we need more incentive to get guests to join and become continuous community members. I'm sure the avatar thing did get abused before, but it's been long enough. It is pretty sad that we have almost 20,000 members and yet not even 1/8th of that amount continuously post or stay long enough to be known community members.

Maybe new skin would be nice. Take a look at GTA Junkie's forums...the theme is simple yet elegant. Looks nice but isn't too crowded or vibrant. There's even different themes to choose from (each one is from a different GTA game).

As for avatars and signatures, I'm pretty sure the new vBulletin allows for far greater control and moderation of those features, so I don't think it would be THAT hard to keep track of. The important thing is that a set of rules and guidelines be set so people have a reference to what they can use and cannot use.

I agree with the forum splits, computer hardware and software really needs to be split. A new fresh skin would be nice too.

fresh skin would be nice...

Imo, if not custom avatars, then at least a lot more avatars, the current selection is a bit limited.
(and I don't mean limited in the way that we need some people to make an extra pack and get five more uploaded, I mean limited in as far as the best resolution would be to go out and buy a pack of avatars, and add a hundred or so more so that each user could be individual and recognised by their avatar.

also image sigs too, people like them, they say more about a person, (when done well) than any text does.

of course I know that out of those three things written above that none will be implemented, they have all been discussed before, but for the point of this thread...

that's the kind of stuff people like to see, that's what will bring people here to stay, at the moment, this place is looking rather outdated when compared to other forums, there is no good vibe to being here.

of course, I don't expect the things I said to be implemented, (as I said they've already been discussed and turned down!), but something does need to be done if this place is going to grow into a much larger community.

splitting HW/SW into two seperate forums would be a very good idea.

NEW SKIN!

this is the default skin for vBulliten isnt it BORING add some style
majorgeeks.com
its not forums but its got a THEME! thats what we should have

it is kinda a bummer we have so few ACTIVE members this site is the first on google with the search of "computer forums" which I think would attract a lot people.

fresh skin would be nice...

Imo, if not custom avatars, then at least a lot more avatars, the current selection is a bit limited.
(and I don't mean limited in the way that we need some people to make an extra pack and get five more uploaded, I mean limited in as far as the best resolution would be to go out and buy a pack of avatars, and add a hundred or so more so that each user could be individual and recognised by their avatar.

also image sigs too, people like them, they say more about a person, (when done well) than any text does.

of course I know that out of those three things written above that none will be implemented, they have all been discussed before, but for the point of this thread...

that's the kind of stuff people like to see, that's what will bring people here to stay, at the moment, this place is looking rather outdated when compared to other forums, there is no good vibe to being here.

of course, I don't expect the things I said to be implemented, (as I said they've already been discussed and turned down!), but something does need to be done if this place is going to grow into a much larger community.

splitting HW/SW into two seperate forums would be a very good idea.

Yeah, all of these have been discussed before. Of course, it's up to David to see if he has faith in the community.

NEW SKIN!

this is the default skin for vBulliten isnt it BORING add some style
majorgeeks.com
its not forums but its got a THEME! thats what we should have

it is kinda a bummer we have so few ACTIVE members this site is the first on google with the search of "computer forums" which I think would attract a lot people.

it does attract alot of people, its just that they ask what they have to and they leave

Back
Top Bottom