How do I "host" a forum?

pooker

In Runtime
I am wanting to start up my own forum, I understand that it will cost and am wanting to know who to go with so to not throw money blindly into the wind. My forum is mainly to keep up to date on our local car meets and general talk, it will not be just orientated around locals though but it will probably start out that way. What is a good host/server to go with? I am far from computer literate but I am ready to learn, I am looking for something that will suit my needs for awhile and has upgrade options as needed, as I am led to understand the larger a forum gets the more "bandwith" I would need.

You need..

A server, with a MYSQL database..
A domain..
A forum software package, such as Phpbb or VB
and knowledge in settings up forums!

You could use a free hosting package, such as myfreeforum, or something, then just get a domain re-direct to it, or buy a domain and re-direct it to the free hosting.. depends how much you have to spend.

Alright hopefully I took a foot in the right direction, I setup my account with wirenine, I have already boughten my domain name for a year and have purchased the beginner package. This is what it includes
1,000 MB Disk Space
20 GB Bandwidth
Unlimited E-mail Addresses
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
Front Page Extensions
Forums, Blogging, Photo Galleries

Hopefully enough to get me started. I believe all I need know is some kind of software to help me setup my forum and write the coding, please correct me if I am wrong. Also if that is all that I need know is there any reccomendations? I do not have access to my website yet although I have paid, it says it can take up to three days to access it and use my control panel.

You need FTp access, then download something like PhpBB, or MyBB(my personal favorite is MyBB) follow the instructions on uploading th eonctents to your server space, and then installing it.

My ftp is not logging me in, I have downloaded mybb, I used the appropriate domain name, and username and password given to me but it is still not working.

Hi,
If you want I'll help you to setup your own forum. I'll provide you the webspace and the domain and compete access to the control panel from where you will be able to install the PHPBB forum for your site. Please have a look at the link to see its features phpbb.com.

i personally prefer phpbb for the simple forum. i just think mybb looks a bit cheap, + ive seen some nice mods for phpbb, some of which ive installed myself. you need to create a mysql database, then put the installation files on the server, then navigate to the install by typing in the appropriate address (the instructions say this all). its all pretty simple except for setting up the database imo

It is all setup, the first package I bought only allowed one mysql database so I upgraded a little bit to offer some upgrades. Also come to find out in my cpanel I have prescrypted versions of already set up forums that insert the html code and everything for me in my forum, pretty easy thanks for the help guys. ;)

Back
Top Bottom