Getting an OS on my server

Julius1

Beta member
Hey guys - I hope this is in the correct section :confused:

Firstly thanks for having a look at my query. I have recently aquired a HP NetServer LH4r Pentium3. I have no real reason for owning it but it was basically free so I thought "what the hey". Anyway, I would like to get it up and going.

I have a copy of Windows Server 2003 but on start up it wont boot from it. It just comes up with the error "no operating system". I went into BIOS and made it boot from CD first but still the same prob. I tried installing XP SP2 (I have no idea whether it would work on a server) and it recognised and booted from the CD. I loaded the files, partitioned the drives, copied installation files but then when the computer restarted it just started from the beginning again. The copied files were on the drive and the windows installer recognised it as a OS, but I don't know how to recover the installation (or if it's even possible with XP). When I start with no CD it does al the RAM checking etc but then comes up with "No operating system".

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jules

hmmmmmm, maby you should use the windows xp cd boot with it and press "R" for repair consol which it will give you a option to enter. Then after logging in, type "fixmbr" for fix master boot record. Which i think is why it isn't booting into xp

Thanks for your response

I followed the instructions. When I use the command "fixmbr" should I be expecting any listing or display? As soon as I press enter it just leaves a blank line and goes back c:\

When I restart it still says no OS

Julius said:
Thanks for your response

I followed the instructions. When I use the command "fixmbr" should I be expecting any listing or display? As soon as I press enter it just leaves a blank line and goes back c:\

When I restart it still says no OS
yes, you should see a response in which you must press the "y" key to accept
here is the microsoft help thing http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

don't do the /hard disk thing just "fixmbr" in the recover consol. if you already did that then this might not be your problem. You should've gotten a response that said "this will overwrite the master boot record etc. etc." and you must press "y" to accept it.

sounds like a drive was removed from the server. is it an HP netserver E60 or E80?

just install XP pro.

Back
Top Bottom