Disk space issues on Server 2003

truffler

Solid State Member
Hi, we have a server running Windows 2003 R2 Standard with Service Pack 2.

We keep running out of space on the system partition which is 12Gb (not very big I realise)

The server is running MS SQL, Sage (both of which need to stay on there) and Yosemite backup software, and is in a single-domain, single-office environment with about 10 users. The users can only use their data drive (D:).

Some process or processes keep gradually eating up space on the system partition (despite us removing unneeded temp files and also having moved i386 to a separate partition) and I need to find some free software which will pinpoint which files are increasing in size most often and growing most quickly- so we can act accordingly. Can anyone recommend such software?

Thanks

I don't know of software but in a similar instance on my server, a backup file was appending the data instead of overwriting it. I don't know where you backup your files to, but that might be something to check into?

you can use some software called tree size to see how big all the files/folders on the box are, next time you run out of space you can check this again to see where the extra space is being used.

you say SQL is installed.

Can I assume that you've moved the database directories to a different drive, (not the defalt c:\program files\MS SQL server\mssql (version)\data).

have you considered removing SQL and re-installing, setting the programs directory to a different drive, (like the D drive).

your 12GB is really the issue, there's not a lot that you can do about that, I mean you could use something like partition magic to resize the partition on the machine, but there is a certain amount of risk regarding things never working again!

Back
Top Bottom