convert basic to dynamic

wooonelly

Baseband Member
I have a 2003 Server , 3 SCSI HDs setup as a RAID 5, so 1 disk, and three partitions, C: E: and F:. I want to change from basic to dynamic so I can combine E: and F:. I know how to do this but am wondering if I need to worry about anything? I can't afford to loose any data as this server is accessed all day long, constantly. Has anyone done this and know of any situations I should watch out for? Thanks for any help

The reason for this is because E: is running out of space and F: is almost empty. All the computers are setup to access E: drive for everything they need so I think this would be easier than changing everyone's box.

use a third party partition manager like partition magic.

I missread your question earler

all my servers are configured like your solution, c:\ for the OS and d:\ as a RAID5 array. When i replaced a drive, i messed up(stupid really) and created the added drive as a stand alone (F:\) and it was listed as basic volume. ONce I got it added the array, disk manager still saw it as a separate drive letter and volume type. I was able to fix this by changing the volume type, however i backed up AND restored my database before completing this process. It worked fine, the backup wasnt needed, however, be on the safe side, backup everything before changing your volume type...

you can convert a basic to a dynamic with no data loss. Converting from a dynamic to basic will erase the drive.

sorry, i got my facts backwards, the drive was dynamic but the raid array shows up as basic volume in disk management, so i had to go backwards...anyway, nothing was lost when the disk was integrated into the array.

Back
Top Bottom