Building a server to host a small website???

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
As in the title. Is this possible?

I have a few bits to a computer that i'd like to put together to serve a my own website. Nothing big, just to show off a few of my products.

Whats involved?

Any help appreciated.

:)

Well unless you have a good legit copy of Windows Server or have the mula to buy it, I would stick with a Linux Server OS. From there you would need Apache to host the site. Get a domain name, point it to your server (a dedicated IP is handy, but not required), and publish your web-site. However do make sure that having a webserver does not violate any TOS for your ISP.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to go with a Linux Server OS. Just got to check out my ISP's TOS then choose a domain name.

I already have Ubuntu 8.04LTS desktop, not installed yet. I'll use this to get used to Ubuntu.

I'm downloading Ubuntu 8.04LTS server now.

And i'll check out Apache, see what I need.

Hi,

I would recommend that you use Ubuntu 8.04LTS, then just install apache from there. It won't make sense for you if you just use the Server edition. The main reason is that server doesn't come with a gui installed and as such you will have to do everthing from command line. Unless you feel absolutely comfortable with that I wouldn't use it.

After you get Ubuntu desktop installed then we can talk about installing apache it really isn't that hard.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom