Back up

zatara

Beta member
[FONT="Garamond[SIZE="5"]"]By default I have become my church's IT person. I am having a new server installed next week with a raid 1 configuration (250 GB hard drives) but I am not sure what the best back up option is or how much of that 250 will actually be backed up. I know the programs don't have to be but with 28 users I know that we go through a lot of pictures and documents.

Any advice would be a blessing.:cool:
[/SIZE][/FONT]

My advice would be to look into a tape drive. You can pickup a DAT 72 drive quite cheaply and a few tapes to rotate. If you are going to going to need to backup the full 250 then you might have to look into something like the ultrim series.

Pictures and documents, why not buy an external hard drive, like a nice 500GB one, you can get them quite cheap now. Even just lots of DVD's or something. Tape can get pretty expensive can it not? What's with the big font as well lol :S

HDs and dvds are not a reliable backup offsite option. For your onsite backup needs yes external HDs are great for small sites. For larger sites Deduplexers and storage arrays are great.

DAT 72's are nice for small stuff. (36gb or so)

DLT is the next step up. 80-300gb

LTO or SDLT is the next step for 100-800GB

I use a DLTS4 autoloader (16 tapes) each tape is 800GB uncompressed.

Tip, buy based on uncompressed storage needs ... you dont want to rely on compression.

Back
Top Bottom