honest opinion, please

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I was a programmer for 4 years ending 12 years ago. Back then it was all procedural, not object oriented. Now I'm 45. On the other hand, I'm bright and motivated (and for what it's worth, I've got a Bachelor's degree in engineering from 20 years ago). If I work hard and learn what I need
to, is there any way in hell I can break back into programming? No doom and gloom, no "happy crap", just what do you think, can it be done?

I don't see why not. If you grasp the idea of objects and can learn the syntax (if you've done C then C# syntax would be easy to pick up). I think you'll be fine.

Just remember to keep an open mind. A lot of programming methods and approaches have changed significantly from 12 years ago. If you have no concept of object oriented programming it will be difficult to understand for a while. It's important to not give up off the get go.

I just thought this might be perceived in the industry as a middle aged guy applying for an entry level position, resulting in a big "no thanks".

It wouldn't hurt to get a textbook. Maybe get an introductory c++ college level text with a chapter or 2 on object oriented programming. If you've been out of programming for long, you might want to also brush up on the chapters not regarding object oriented prgming anyway. It wouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom