dual boot problem

Hondacivic91sie

Beta member
ok so i recently did a dual boot with my pre-installed vista, i got tired of vista so i installed xp pro edition, everything worked fine, but then i got a horrible virus crashed my whole computer, so i decided to do a clean install of vista, but i still get a dual boot, well triple boot menu containing xp and the old before the clean install, but i can't log on to them there missing files, how do i fix this? take the two other os's which shouldn't be there cuz of a clean install but eeeh, its there, thanks in advance

Did you wipe your drive when you installed XP again?

Here's how you go about it. Eh sorry, you're using Vista. It should still be the same thing.

Instead of Start>Run...

Go to Start and in the search bar type in msconfig, but don't hit enter. It should pop up there... if not we'll have to go about this a different way.

If it does work go to Boot.ini (the tab)
There will me three:
mult(0)disk(0) ect... Delete the two that arn't highlighted. If you delete the wrong one it will still be fine, it will be forced to boot. If you want to be on the safe side just delete one of them and restart.

If msconfig doesn't work with vista it must be another command. I apologize.. I don't have Vista.

I do believe Vista implemented bcdedit. Doesn't work on XP, but if MSCONFIG doesn't work try BCDEDIT.

-Q

Msconfig does work in Vista. Sounds like each operating system is on a different partition. If you want to recover that lost space on your hard drive since the OS doesn't boot, you'll need to repartition your drive. This may or may not be possible without reformatting the whole thing. I would try the Gparted live CD you can download for free. Make sure you back up any important data before messing with partitions though.

Also, shouldn't this be in a section other than "Programming"?

Back
Top Bottom