Challenge anyone?

berry120

Fully Optimized
Here's an idea for anyone who's up for a challenge (or a few!) You may have heard of this site before, but I'd really recommend it if you want to get into the flow of "thinking" like a programmer from early on (rather than just knocking out simple hello-world-like applications.)

Head over to osix.net, sign up and work your way through. There's a main section of challenges, a reverse section and a bonus section. I'd recommend following the main section through as far as you can and pick out a couple of the bonus ones as well.

If you're a beginner you should be able to do the first couple of challenges and a couple of the easy bonuses - they don't require that much programming experience or knowledge. If you're an accomplished coder already you should be able to finish quite a few (though going all the way is hard... very hard!)

I've done levels 1-7 of the main challenge and 10 of the bonus levels so far, so if anyone wants a hint or 2 feel free to post here and I'll try and help (within the rules of course!)

That sucks.

An alternative site with similar style problems (though more maths-y than osix) is http://projecteuler.net. Currently 2 challenges off level 2 for that one, though finding two more I can solve is proving difficult!

Ah, I've spoken to who I assume is the site owner/maintainer. He is manually adding an account into the Database for me. He said it'd be ready in about 2 hours :)

OK, I'm waiting for my account at OSIX to be activated. I'm working on Project euler... using Excel of all things (I want to see how far I can get with it :p)

I'm thinking that Problem #3 will be interesting in excel...

Very interesting approach! I knocked quick programs together for most of mine (with the exception of a couple I did with a calculator / paper.)

You'll probably find excel a lot less useful for the majority of ones on osix, but I reckon you could still solve a few with it!

Back
Top Bottom