Is it worth it to oc i7

justykumbusty

Baseband Member
Hello all,
Good morning, I would like to know if overclocking my i7-3770k would actually be worth it. I run all my games at ultra and on bf3 espically i am getting anywhere from 40-60fps easy. My gpu is a nvdia gtx 560 ti and have oced that. I just dont know if it is really all that necessary for me to go through all this trouble when i belive the CPU is not bottlenecking. Also is my stock cooler fine im running at around 47c at full load. Thanks

Other Specs,
16GB RAM

That is so true, and I just was wondering on your opinion, i was considering rebuilding an old dell dimension 2400 just sitting around, all i would replace is the mobo, cpu and ram and possibly psu, would you say that that is a good idea, my budget is like $200 or so

Thank you all so much for quick replies, thank you espically wildcat- you have been a huge help to me. This is by far the best forums ever and will be telling my clients about this.

In the words of (someone) builder ... (If it works don't fix it) :)

This, but just to elaborate slightly - overclocking will shorten the processor's lifespan, potentially reduce stability and increase the amount of heat in your system.

It can be worth it if you need a bit of a speed increase, but if there's nothing you particularly require, you're just stressing the CPU for nothing.

Justy, if you want to rebuild a dell, think twice. I've tried, but without success. Hp dell and a few others have proprietary motherboard screw hole placement so you'll need a mobo from dell, and that'll probably eat through your $200. It sounds like you'd only be using the dell case and hdds, if that's right, you might as well start from scratch since a new mobo probably won't fit.

Back
Top Bottom