Overclocking a q8300

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have recently overclocked my CPU Q8300 from the stock 2.5Ghz to 3Ghz. system seems stable although im getting a strange reading on one of my cores. when it was running at stock it was about at most 6 -7 degrees hotter than the other 3 however now i have overclocked it seems to be about 10 - 12 degrees hotter than the rest. is this normal as i read somewere that one should be about 3 - 4 degrees hotter but i dont think it should be at this temp when the others are not.

This is the chart of temps whilst i was playing dead space 2 on the best graphic settings.

heat%20cpu.png

as you can see core 0 is way above the rest getting to temps of just over 60 degrees. i read that my cpu should never go over 71 degrees. also is my gpu a little to hot aswell ? what temp should it be (i have not overclocked my gpu).

hmm. on my Core i7 the low temp cpu to the high temp cpu is max at 4-5 C* overclocked from 2,8 till 3,3. small OC
i have never seen that much of a difference.
but i dont think you should worry to much about it. after all. it works right? if the CPU gets higher the 80 C* you should do something.

also some programes are using only 1 or 2 cores. so some difference is nothing more then normal. are you running any havy background programmes?

No, it has allways been this case even when i didnt overclock. i have had my processor just over a year and not had any problems as of yet. i was just curious as it seems a huge gap between cores. i dont understand that if core 0 is 60 + degrees how overall the CPU temp is just under 50 degrees ?

yeah. it is getting all the work. core 0 is the first core in the array, maybe some programes that are single threded are set to run on that core.
i belive that your core 0 is the one getting some extra load somewhere.
try to tjek the windows tast manager and se witch core is getting most load.
report back with the result.

btw: right now my core 1 and 2 is 2 C* higher then the others.
i dont think there should be anything wrong with exacly YOUR q8300. if that was the case, your PC whould most likly not start.

u see. thats the problem. single threded applications.
i have deadspace 2 as well. my core 0 is 4-6 C* higher then the next highest (no overclock). i have just testet it.

deadspace 2 is a bit special. i have had GPU heat problems. my FPS at MAX settings sometimes goes OVER 160 FPS. the card gets pritty hot when calculating all that stuff in that high framerate.
so i enebled virtual sync. problem solved ^^ my graphic card was back to normal.

still having a problem with it?
edited
-
i see you dont have a problem with it anymore. good for you ^^
a core i7 is gonna do you good.

No I haven't as I used the paste that came with the CPU however I did order some Arctic silver 5 paste as I didn't think that the heat sink would have any already applied.

I could try re applying it although I think that the CPU is stable and I had so much hassle getting the 4 pins in I don't think it is worth it :)

I should have wiped the crap paste off and reapplied with the better stuff.

as long as this temp wont harm the cpu it dont really matter. anyway im looking at getting a i7 soon so if it goes then so be it :)

What graphic card you got ? 160 FPS sounds really good, im running about 30 FPS using an old 9800 GT (settings on best). Im looking to get the gtx 460 as an upgrade soon.

Correction - I get 70 - 100 FPS ATM. it was because vsync was turned on.

Back
Top Bottom