New Graphics Card or Overclock

bismarck66

Beta member
Alright I'm new to the forum and while I have some knowledge of computers and what makes them tick I am quite far from being an expert. Sorry in advance for the long winded story but I like to be as clear as possible.

My computer recently died and I brought it in too be fixed, they replaced the power supply (Elite Power 400W) and had to do the same to the graphics card (Radeon HD5450) as the fan was going on it. Having seen the bill for the repairs it has re-ignited my interest to learn more about them so I don't have to bring it to a shop again.

Now I mostly use the computer for gaming and the one game I play most often is World Of Tanks (Great game by the way) and at the moment I'm getting on avg 15-20 FPS with everything on its lowest setting. So my question to you guys is as the title suggests should I go out and buy a new card or overclock the one I have now?.

Specs are as follows
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Duak Core Processor 4200+2.20 Ghz
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: Radeon HD5450
Power Supply: Elite Power 400w

Please let me know if any more information is required and I will try and provide it for you and thank you beforehand for your assistance.

i don't think overclocking that old thing will do any good. only increase the electricity cost of using the system.
As all above stated: get a new system.

I would suggest buying a new video card, overclocking your old video card will only make your card hot and it will consume more electricity which will cause your electricity bill to rise and also you have to make sure that your casing has proper ventilation when overclocking otherwise your video card will die very soon. Overclocking your card won't show much boost in your game performance. There are much better video card out there and are cheap but be sure before buying your video card to consult your motherboard manual, check that your motherboard and video card are compatible with each other and also check that your power supply can handle the power required by your new video card since you only have 400W, Good luck.

If you are going to upgrade anyway then I say go for it. Push it until it squeals like a pig, it will be good practice for when you get your new one. If you get a few FPS out of it then enjoy it, as far as I can see there is no point not overclocking it.

Getting a good Graphics card or overclocking are not going to show you a big difference at all.

Everyone responding to this thread is going to tell you the same thing. Get yourself a new Machine. Either get one custom built for you or build it yourself and save a few dollars.

With the speed of evolving technology you really want to rebuild a new machine every 3 - 5 years (budget depending). Spending money on "upgrade" parts is only a stop gap that will cost you more in the end.
You want to do a software re install annually. (Free to do. This will clear a lot of junk from your PC and give it a speed boost.)

Back
Top Bottom