How I finally fixed Studio 1535 Overheating!

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
Alrighty, so this is about the 8th post about this particular laptop, and I think I've fixed one of its two major issues. Long story short, my parents got divorced and its my mom's laptop. The ssd in it was dying, and it still overheated really bad. While I was waiting for a new hard drive to get here, I opened it up and looked through some stuff I had laying around to fix it, when I ran across a heatsink that looked a lot like this:
hs1.jpg
It came off a amd 486-dx2 66 with a tiny ass fan, it was the only one small enough to fit under the bottom panel. It is just a little too big to fit perfectly within the four mounting screws on top of the cpu heatpipe, so its wedged between 3 at an angle. Almost anything under 10mm high will fit. I recomend using AC thermal adhesive but AC5 seems to be holding it on well enough. Next I took that airflow choking filter off of the bottom plate. Honestly with that tiny addition i didnt think anything would happen. But I noticed when reinstalling windows, the fan never came on high. Opened up speedfan, didn't have time to download Prime95, but this scan maxed it out for a while, it didn't get over 48C:
after.jpg

Before I put this little tiny heatsink on, even with AC5 applied to all components, this laptop would reach into the 60's and 70's. Big Improvement. The palmrest on the side that the ram is on(where the filter was) still gets uncomfortably warm but no longer blazing hot.

Hope this helps people with this unfortunately sucky laptop. Still cannot fix the DVD drive eject problem...

Last edited:
I have also seem to have figured out how to fix the DVD drive eject problem. Simply download bios A06 from dell, and keep reinstalling it until the drive stops acting up. (I had to reinstall the bios 6 times, it has worked for over a day now)

The dvd drive now shows up in device manager and the computer window everytime i boot up, and it no longer randomly ejects cd's or repeatedly tries to eject when the drive is empty.

I have also seem to have figured out how to fix the DVD drive eject problem. Simply download bios A06 from dell, and keep reinstalling it until the drive stops acting up. (I had to reinstall the bios 6 times, it has worked for over a day now)

The dvd drive now shows up in device manager and the computer window everytime i boot up, and it no longer randomly ejects cd's or repeatedly tries to eject when the drive is empty.

Edit: It works perfectly when I'm plugged in. The second I went on battery, all hell broke loose. I'm thinking that it might be a problem with just my board, its probably bad seeing how much stuff doesnt work. (1 headphone port works, internal speakers do not work, battery does not charge right, touch panel does not work right). It even bluescreened when I inserted a music cd. But as soon as I put AC power on, it got the pole out of its ass and started working o_0

Back
Top Bottom