help

tj107us1

In Runtime
I how do you overclock an Intel I7 930 2.8ghz processor with a ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard. I would like to overclock it to 3.0ghz for right now. Do you think the stock cooler will be ok at 3.0ghz?

I don't know much about i7 overclocking, but a 200mhz bump should be effortless and have little or no effect on temps.

2.8->3 Ghz is a 200 Mhz bump. Raise the base clock (133mhz) a little until you get to 3 Ghz.

Your stock heatsink is fine @ 3Ghz and to get there requires a small BCLK increase.

No need to increase vCore.

how to i adjust the blck in the BIOS and get it to keep the setting

Ok. Go into the BIOS and look at the features that are available. If you haven't already adjusted anything in the BIOS the chances are that everything is set to auto/standard. What I would do is go into the BIOS and 'manual' the settings and disable any features you really are not going to use. Unless I DL the manual for your mobo i'm not going to know what the BIOS layout is like but if you look around you should be able to understand everything there. You'll have different pages for different features.

The features you need might be under 'Advanced Settings' or something similar.

Once you have done the adjustments it's F10 to save them.

As always the first goal is to find out our maximum BCLK. With the multiplier lowered to ensure we don't overstress the CPU we managed to hit 209.8 MHz BCLK which should allow us to easily bust 4GHz on the CPU. With this BLCK the next job is to get the CPU stable at its default multiplier. This was easily achieved with a mild 1.336v on the CPU, once again showing the might of the i7-930. However this requires some curious memory dividers so let's get it all stable at our usual settings. Finally we have the settings we're using for todays overclocking tests. 200x21 gives us a rock solid 4.2GHz on the CPU and allows our Corsair Dominator GT to run at its rated 2000MHz speed.

Back
Top Bottom