Wireless Lan Q's...

dirtyoldman

Baseband Member
Hi, at the moment we have two computers connected together, but now my dad has bought a laptop and wants to get a wireless router for all the computers to connect to, he cant do it himself to save his life so I have to do it, I am quite confident but have some questions...

1. Will our modem connect directly to the router, offering 24hr internet for all computers?

2. Do we have to buy specific wireless pci cards for specific routers?

Well, I thought I had more but i thinks thats all I need to know for now, thanks for any replys in advance!

dirtyoldman said:
Hi, at the moment we have two computers connected together, but now my dad has bought a laptop and wants to get a wireless router for all the computers to connect to, he cant do it himself to save his life so I have to do it, I am quite confident but have some questions...

1. Will our modem connect directly to the router, offering 24hr internet for all computers?

Yes it will if your using a broadband connection.

2. Do we have to buy specific wireless pci cards for specific routers?

No, as long as it's using the wireless standard of 802.11b or g then it will be fine.

Well, I thought I had more but i thinks thats all I need to know for now, thanks for any replys in advance!

1. yes, the modem will connected to your router, thus giving you 24hr internet access.

2.No, you do not need to buy a specific PCI card for your router as long as it is 802.11g

Any other questions, just ask.

matt

no worries, if u have any other questions regarding this or any other networking problems, just ask!

Matt

Just remember to enable WEP, Otherwise anyone with a new lappy will be able to sit within 100m of your AP and use your Broadband!

This is why I can walk around vitually anywhere in the south of Tenerife and get free broadband,
THANK YOU TELEFONICA!

martin_messom said:
Just remember to enable WEP, Otherwise anyone with a new lappy will be able to sit within 100m of your AP and use your Broadband!

This is why I can walk around vitually anywhere in the south of Tenerife and get free broadband,
THANK YOU TELEFONICA!

even better, enable mac address filtering if you have it. WEP is a joke.

Back
Top Bottom