Wireless Connection Drops, Restarts, Drops

seanohio

Beta member
Greetings,

My brand new Dell laptop connected to my Road Runner/Motorola Wireless Cable Modem flawlessly, using XP w/SP2. Recently, though, I've had problems. The laptop connects to the wireless network. Then, after about 10 to 30 seconds, it disconnects, and tries again. Sometimes it connects long enough for me to view a webpage, then it hangs and disconnects and repeats the process. Any ideas on why this is happening? I've tried using the laptop from 5 to 15 feet away from the modem, and it's doing this everywhere all of a sudden.

Is this happening only on your modem, or are you experiencing this problem on other wireless networks at other places? I'd consider re-installing the drivers for your wireless adapter. A number of things could be causing this, another RF signal conflicting like a cordless phone, or even a neighboring wireless router.

bandwidth interference by: cordless phones, microwaves, walkie talkies, and yes, other routers/AP's in the immediate area. Not commonly known, but pine needles, such as a xmas tree next to the router or the laptop....fun stuff :p

Back
Top Bottom