wired broadband connection connected wirelessly to second laptop

paddy1nz

Solid State Member
Hi all,

This is my first post - and I'm very new to this computer networking stuff. I currently have a desktop PC and a dialup connection. In the next few weeks I'm looking to also buy a laptop and upgrade to a wired broadband connection. Now, I'll probably get the broadband before the laptop. Thing is that when I buy the laptop, it'll be in a room not too close to the PC. I want to know if it's possible for me to connect the laptop to the same broadband connection as the desktop PC. It's not possible for me to thread cables along the ground. I was reading something about it being possible for the desktop PC to be wired physically to the connection, and the laptop to be wirelessly connected to the connection (without an increase in monthly price!). Is this possible? Could someone please explain in layman's terms? Thanks!

P.

Well the easiest route would be to buy a wireless modem router which would cost about £30-£40 and then wire the desktopto that and wirelessly connect the laptop to that as well . If you need help setting it up please ask here cos loads of people will be willing to help

It's not possible for me to thread cables along the ground. I was reading something about it being possible for the desktop PC to be wired physically to the connection, and the laptop to be wirelessly connected to the connection (without an increase in monthly price!). Is this possible?

Yes it's possible. However, you need a wireless ethernet broadband router to do this. Usually desktops are hardwired (using cat5 cable) and notebooks/laptops are wireless for portability of course. If you wanted to make your desktop computer wireless you could also do this but you would need a wireless card in the tower. Instead of the usual NIC card.

Just do as Muz and Raffaz said buy a wireless router for your desktop and run the laptop of that, I did exactly that when I bought a 3COM 3CRWDR100-A72 from Ebuyer a couple of years ago and have never looked back.
It will not cost you any more money running multiple computers of it and its quite easy to set up. I run TWO laptops of mine and can if I wanted run upto 40 as it has four ports that each run 10 computers off.

yep a wireless router is great. you could even connect your desktop wirelessly if you wanted, ud just need an adapter

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Hope my question wasn't too silly!

Ok. I think I know what you're saying. That I pay for the wired broadband connection from my ISP, having my PC wired to the wall, then have my laptop running wirelessly off this. Is this different to just buying a wireless broadband connection? The thing is that the wireless broadband connection from my ISP is more expensive than the wired.

Yeah, I'm not a dab hand at this computer stuff yet!

P.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Hope my question wasn't too silly!

Ok. I think I know what you're saying. That I pay for the wired broadband connection from my ISP, having my PC wired to the wall, then have my laptop running wirelessly off this. Is this different to just buying a wireless broadband connection? The thing is that the wireless broadband connection from my ISP is more expensive than the wired.

Yeah, I'm not a dab hand at this computer stuff yet!

P.

Hi again , dont worry no question is too silly Everyone is gonna start somewhere
OK you need to get broadband then you get a modem router which connects to the broadband via the telephone jack on the wall . Then you get a wire and pass it from this router to your desktop computer . This cable should come with the router and you can buy longer ones from a computer shops realy cheaply if needed
Then you setup this router using the desktop entering all yoou isp settings etc .
Then you connect the laptop wirelessly to the router .
Wait a min i will draw a diagram for you
map.jpg

hope that helps out

i dont see why a wireless internet package is more expensive from your isp, well unless its because they give you a wireless router instead of a standard modem.just depends if you want to buy one separately

Back
Top Bottom