Why cant i get web pages yet im connected to the net?

martin353

Solid State Member
Hi All

Well the title sums it up really. I can connect to the internet, which my isp has verified, but I cant download anything or view a web page.
I spoke to the tech department last night who did all sorts of things with me including making sure firewalls and AV progs were off, clearing the reports and resetting the I.E and internal cmmunications of my P.C. In the end all he could say was that my puter was connected and sending but not using the same default gateway to receive. How do I reset this and what to?

Any help would be great as its now been off line for a couple of months and Im having to use a work p.c to connect to the good old net. Looks like I've fallen through the net for the moment !!

BTW my isp is wanadoo and im using win xp home

Thank you in advance

Martin353

Go into a command prompt, and see if you can ping any Web sites- you should be able to, since they say you're connected. DO this:

Go to Start>Run: type "cmd" without quotes, and hit enter.
A black screen will appear.
Type in after >ping www.google.com
If you get replies, your connected to the Internet, and it's not a connection issue, but a browser issue. You say you have reset IE to all defaults. Try this:

Go into "Network Connections", right-click on the connection you have, and go to properties. Highlight TCP/IP Protocol (You may have to scroll to see it) and select properties.
Make sure that it is set to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically". If that is what it already says, try opening a the browser- IE
Go into IE, and make sure that it's not setup to go through a proxy server.
There is spyware out there that changes these settings, and you have to manually change them back. If they went through this with you, then you really have spyware/adware issues.
Try these suggestions, and post back.

try this

If he cannot ping www.google.com, try pinging 68.142.226.49, if you cannot ping yahoo but can ping this ip, its a dns issue, and you need to call your isp to get the correct dns servers

ALSO: Try browsing using My Computer.

Hi all and thanks for the replies.
I have done the ping test and they came back with all packets lost. I was unable to get a connection with names but I will try using an I.P instead.I have had to reset these manually and will run another spywware test in safe mode then retry manually entering the dns and i.e bits :)

Thank you

did you try to browse in My Computer?

did you try to ping and browse this ip...68.142.226.49

Av scans in safemode is a good call

When you ping, you get nothing back? (100% loss) You have no network connection or it's a DNS issue. Try pinging an IP from the command prompt-
ping 64.233.161.147 (Google) and see if you get any replies.
Not sure where he was going with browsing My Computer, I'll let him explain that one. :D

First off..Browsing in My Computer will determine if IE is corrupted..If you cant browse in IE but can browse in MC, then there is a prob. If you cant then there is no broblem, so you can continue troubleshooting...

Second...Try reducing your nic speed. Right click mycomputer->properties->hardware->device manager->expand netowrk adapters->find the nic and right click it-> properties->advanced tab->changed value of speed and duplex to 10mbps full

burton_o6 said:
First off..Browsing in My Computer will determine if IE is corrupted..If you cant browse in IE but can browse in MC, then there is a prob. If you cant then there is no broblem, so you can continue troubleshooting...

If you can't browse in IE, but MC, then there is a problem with IE- not MC. How could one be related to the other, when one is for local browsing and one for Internet? Look, I'm not trying to get into a technical debate here, and I do get what you're saying, but it's network connectivity we're discussing.

2 different .exe files- not related, technically.
explorer.exe (browsing my computer)
iexplore.exe (browsing the Internet)

pctechmike said:
If you can't browse in IE, but MC, then there is a problem with IE- not MC. How could one be related to the other, when one is for local browsing and one for Internet? Look, I'm not trying to get into a technical debate here, and I do get what you're saying, but it's network connectivity we're discussing.

2 different .exe files- not related, technically.
explorer.exe (browsing my computer)
iexplore.exe (browsing the Internet)

dude...open My computer and type google...It WILL take you to google..
and i never said it would be a problem with MC...I said there would be a problem with IE...

ALSO: i would like to know...you said you WILL try ping ips, but you havent gotten back to use on that? What happened?

Back
Top Bottom