whats up with all the different ethernet cables

locomtivebreath

Solid State Member
me and my brother are trying to create a local area network...

i bought a patch cat5 cable and i relized that what i needed was actually a cat5 crossover cable...

what is a patch cable for....
and why wont it work for my LAN...?

i would aprecciate any answers,
thank you

patch cables usually connect a nic card to a port in the wall then from the wall to a switch/router... crossover cable is for connecting 2 devices of the same specifications (computer to computer)(router to router). The patch cable should've worked... I don't know why it wouldn't but... you should just buy all cat 5-5e ETHERNET cables and then try running them... they should work just fine.

If you have more than 2 computers on your LAN i would reccomend a switch and regular cat 5/5e ethernet cable.

Would it work if I used ethernet cables to connect two computers to a wireless router, with no internet connection? I'm looking for a quick way to grab files from various friends' computers; if I would have to install the router software on both computers, this approach would be worthless. If I could install the router on my computer and use the wireless connection to get files, it wouldn't be so bad, though with the gigs I want to move, it might not be as fast, even with a wireless-G...

Crossover cables are used to connect things that are alike, such as network card to network card, hub to hub, etc. Patch cables or "straight through" cables are used to connect like from your pc to router, If you have only 2 pc's and no internet a crossover cable going from pc to pc would work just fine, its the cheapest way to go. A router is only needed if your connecting different networks together, such as your home network to the interenet.

Back
Top Bottom