Vista/XP Network

Element

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I just bought a Vista laptop and i really want to transfer files from my current XP PC over to the Vista Laptop. I have created a workgroup and it is the same on both machines, but i can't see my PC from the Laptop, and i cant access the laptop files on the PC.

Ive had a look at a lot of suggestions elsewhere but i'm really confused and cant get it working, is it even possible?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

When i tried it was evil. After an hour or so of trying diffrent methods and looking through an uncountable amount of forums it got tideous and i used a 16gig usb stick to transfer my files.

Hey all,

I just bought a Vista laptop and i really want to transfer files from my current XP PC over to the Vista Laptop. I have created a workgroup and it is the same on both machines, but i can't see my PC from the Laptop, and i cant access the laptop files on the PC.

Ive had a look at a lot of suggestions elsewhere but i'm really confused and cant get it working, is it even possible?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

if your laptop or PC has a logon password, you must enter a password by right clicking on the shared computer in my network before you can see its shared folders.

Also make sure u enabled microsoft file and printer and microsoft client in your network device property page.

An alternate way would be to use the extremely useful "netcat" program. You could zip all the files, open a port on one of the computers, and initiate a raw tcp connection from the other computer.

Back
Top Bottom