Switch problems!!!

Arthur_Tarp

Beta member
I have just bought a 5-port switch and it works perfectly if I plug my self in it, but If another computer plugs in it, it can't log on to the internet or see my computer on the network.

Please help me!!!!!

layout your network. i.e. cable/dsl modem, router, switch. Is your router issuing ip address via dhcp? Or are you using static ip addresses?
What's the switch brand/model?

Lots of reasons can be causing this ... we need your help in describing your set up.

i have the same problem. i just got a 5 port switch from d-link (des-1005D).

layout is like this

internet > modem > switch > 3x PC

isit enough?

problem is that if you dont have something issuing IP addresses (DHCP from a router) to your pc's then you have to go with static ip addresses on each pc. Go to each pc and manually input addresses in the 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x. or 192.168.x.x. private address ranges, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

For example:

PC #1 = 10.1.2.2 255.255.255.0
PC #2 = 10.1.2.3 255.255.255.0
PC #3 = 10.1.2.4 255.255.255.0

and you will also need to configure your default gateway to be the ip address your isp gave you.

CrossCech said:
problem is that if you dont have something issuing IP addresses (DHCP from a router) to your pc's then you have to go with static ip addresses on each pc. Go to each pc and manually input addresses in the 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x. or 192.168.x.x. private address ranges, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

For example:

PC #1 = 10.1.2.2 255.255.255.0
PC #2 = 10.1.2.3 255.255.255.0
PC #3 = 10.1.2.4 255.255.255.0

and you will also need to configure your default gateway to be the ip address your isp gave you.

errmm. how do i know my ip address? and how do you key in subnet mask for each pc?

thanks

I don't know if all of the names are correct since my windows isn't in english, but I'll try.
Go to control panel -> network options then there is this "LAN thing" (don't have a clue what u call it) right click on it and select properties, then choose internet protocol (TCP/IP) and then click on properties. From there u can change ur IP and subnet mask. Might be a bit unclear because don't know all of the names but u should find it.

oh, btw I have windows XP. If you have some different windows the IP settings might be in another place.

There's several ways to access your network connections, here's one way of doing it:

Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>Communications>>Network Connections

Right-Click Local Area Connection>>Properties

Scroll down in the "this connection uses the following items">>select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>>select properties.

Select "Use the following IP Address" and input the numbers. Good luck.

thanks for reply guys.

i've managed to connect using local area connection or internet gateway with my friend's pc as the ICS. my pc seems to connect well.

but

the other pc (pc#3) cant connect to the internet. i have set up a connection to the local area connection but the pc doesn't connect to the net. and i cant get the pc to connect using internet gateway. what's wrong?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom