Slow ASS Router

sgdk

Solid State Member
I got a problem with my router.

I recently bought a D-link (DI-704P) router so i can get internet access to 3 comps in my home. So i installed everything and now when i go to download stuff, the speed is restricted to only 7KB/s. doesnt go above this, now before i installed the router, i was d/ling at about 60-70KB/s. However one of the other (slower) computer still downloads at about 50 KB/s thru the router.

Has anyone had this prob? or know how to fix it?

My comp specs are P4 2.8HT, 512Mb ram, 128mb vid card,

The other comp (that d/l's at 50KB/s) is a P2 233hz with 128Mb ram.

Could it be my network settings?

By the way, i have cable broadband internet

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, i dont have any viruses and i dont download from kazaa

make sure that there isnt any programs taking up bandwith and also make sure that its ok on the physical end. yes, check network settings on both the workstations and the router

thanks dell, but would you know what settings should be used, for example what to disable, enable, turn on/off etc...

well ive never used a d-link router.. or much of anything from dlink....

also there could be a firewall interferring.

this sounds like and odd problem and could also be the cabel may be getting too much cross talk interference on it and could also be the sites your downloading it from???

also try resetting teh router...

with cable internet you share your connection speed with your neiborhood. if someone is using up alot of bandwidth with a server you are stuck with slower connections. Thats why I stayed away from cable and went with dsl. I downloaded a 3.99Gb file last night at a steady rate of 1.75 mb/seconds. I cant remember how long it took but I think it was between 10-15 minutes.
just like the neiborhood the more computers you have on your network using the internet at the same time the slower your connection speed is going to be.

Back
Top Bottom