Router Service Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asthenia

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I really need some professional help here from the place I know best.

This has been an on going issue for a very long time now and to be honest I'm fed up now. I'll get straight to the point, currently in my household, I have a wireless router that me, my mum and my dad and my brother share. Since I'm the only one that has computer knowledge I pretty much look after it and help out around the house. Basically my brother is a big downloader using Utorrent and it's very frustrating, he lies and says it's not him even though I know it's him because when I block his wireless device from joining the network it speeds up back to normal, I've tried blocking various ports TCP and UDP or even both and for some reason it always finds a way to carry on, I don't get this at all because when I used my laptop and tried to do the same thing, it stopped downloading straight away.

Basically when I turn him off he gets mad and things kick off as you imagine, so what I want to do is try and block him from downloading but still allow him to be on the network.

Any suggestions?

thanks for reading.

What Router do you have? Also in order to stop his torrenting you have to know which port Utorrent is on.

Hi Jacob, I have a NETGEAR WGR614 v9
I did think of that, but I heard if Utorrent can't connect to a specific port, it will keep looking, so I tried to do a mass service block and block a range, I can see on the LOGS that it attempts to access it, but it still seems Utorrent is finding a way through.

Hi Jacob, I have a NETGEAR WGR614 v9
I did think of that, but I heard if Utorrent can't connect to a specific port, it will keep looking, so I tried to do a mass service block and block a range, I can see on the LOGS that it attempts to access it, but it still seems Utorrent is finding a way through.
Can you post the logs please as I think Utorrent uses UnPn to randomize port on each start up.

Well tbh the logs don't say much, they say the port was blocked by the specified name I made, basically that the network IP my brother is trying to access was blocked. However the led light for the wireless is still blinking fast, and web pages are slow, if I upright blocked his wireless device connecting it would go steady as I'm wired up and my parents are in bed.

Do you think Disabling UNPN will resolve the issue?

Well tbh the logs don't say much, they say the port was blocked by the specified name I made, basically that the network IP my brother is trying to access was blocked. However the led light for the wireless is still blinking fast, and web pages are slow, if I upright blocked his wireless device connecting it would go steady as I'm wired up and my parents are in bed.

Do you think Disabling UNPN will resolve the issue?
Yeah because that causes the router to auto forward those ports, also you can lower his mac address in QoS and that will give you and your parents priority over him.

The router doesn't support QoS, however I noticed as a firmware upgrade they offer something called Parental Live Support, which I believe maybe something similar, however on trying to upgrade it wouldn't allow it, I then realised I have a Virgin Media branded router with their own customer "Locked" Firmware, which even though it's NetGear it always remains property to Virgin Media (ISP) . Looks Like I'm going to have to get a new router.

I would just create a fake pirating letter from like Universal and just give it to him and tell him that was in the mail from internet provider. Maybe that will stop him.

you could just lock down all outgoing ports except port 80?

I think you are beating a dead horse. Why not simply uninstall Utorrent and any other sharing services then set your brother up as simply a limited user without the privilege to install anything. If you have Vista, parental permissions is a much better way to micro-manage everything. Unless you brother is a better hacker than you are an administrator, you should beat him until he gives up. Yes, even if you manage to block Utorrent, what prevents him from installing another torrent downloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom