Router not connecting unless setup as a modem

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys
My brother's girlfriend just got ADSL2+, and were supplied with a belkin modem-router by their ISP.

However, the router simply won't connect. He can get to the router's page / change settings around, and has changed the settings to exactly what the ISP has provided him (including the multiplexing methods, PPPoE, etc).

The only way he has been able to get it working is to go through the "create a new connection" wizard, and create one of those old modem-style connections where he has to open up a window and click "Connect". While the net speed seems adequate, this isn't going to work with the multiple computers that need to connect to the router. I think there are Mac's that need to connect too, and I have no idea if they can do a similar 'modem-style-connection' task that XP does.

Can you help? Thanks!
-Rhys

Is the router set to keep the connection alive at all? I'm not sure if that'll make any kind of difference put who knows.

Throwing this out there aswell, make sure that the router portion is set as a "gateway" not "router".

@celegorm
Not sure what you mean, though I'll look to see if there are any settings for that. I spoke to my brother over the phone to fix this, but i'll be going 'round today to look at it.

Back
Top Bottom