Remote Startup?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
I got a new laptop. :D
My old one houses all my music, movies, etc.
I'm using it as a ghetto server for my new laptop.
Set it up with a crossover cable, shared all my folders, etc
Since I'm lazy and dont want to be bothered to manually turn it on, is there any kind of remote startup programs that someone could explain to me so I can boot the laptop with the click of a mouse from my new one?

I use some software that is free that does the job. All you need to know is what the MAC address of the system you want to turn on is, and that the Wake On LAN feature is enabled. Laptops may or may not have it as a visible option, but try the software out anyway and see if it works for you.

http://www.fusion-online.com.ar/en/products/wol/

I would've thought it's unlikely for a laptop to work with WoL - I've never checked I'd just be surprised if they built that feature in since I can't really ever see it getting used.

If it doesn't work then have a look in the BIOS under wake / power settings and see if it's listed there - if not wake on PCI might also work.

Beyond that I'm afraid you're out of luck!

I've seen wake on lan for a laptop before.

all you need to do is send a magic packet.

(and yes I do love that it's called a magic packet!).

Hmm... It had a wake on lan setting that i enabled, but oddly enough nothing happened when I tried to start it

Make sure it's over hard wire ethernet and no wireless, though I figure you've done that.

Also give it some time. My system will send the MP and it can take up to 2 minutes before the system is responsive. If yours didn't turn on at all, make sure you have the right MAC address and that you typed it in correctly. Colons and Dashes both work fine (00-1F-3D... or 00:1F:3D... etc)

The last 3 laptops I've looked at definitely didn't - I must be getting odd ones!

Fire up device manager, select your network adapter and select "allow this device to bring the pc out of standby" (or something like that.) This will probably mean that the computer wakes when any traffic hits the port, not just the magic packet - but it'll have the same affect because there's not going to be any other traffic with just the crossover cable.

Yeah, its going through ethernet... And thanks berry120 i'll try that in a little bit and see if it works
its an old Acer Aspire 5313 that seems to have that option..

Back
Top Bottom