Protect IP/SOPA Bill

Anderwolfe

In Runtime
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find anywhere obviously appropriate for this.

If the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) bill goes through, the internet will be changed forever.

Scary shit, look at the link below.
Protect IP Act Breaks the Internet - YouTube

Do something about it here:
American Censorship Day November 16 - Join the fight to stop SOPA

Find your congress person to write to them:
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Text Summary:
Yesterday congress started holding hearings on the first American censorship system.

Internet companies have been lobbying like crazy and this bill has the potential to pass.
The big key thing: The government can order service providers to block websites for infringing links posted by any user. So not only can an internet site be censored for having something that entertainment companies deem wrong. And I say wrong because the wording is so open that it can be considered so many things.

Not only can that website be blocked, but also someone/sites that have linked to it. Then you have risk of jail for ordinary users. It becomes a felony with potential of jail for 5 years to stream a copyrighted work that would cost more than $2,500 to license. Even if it's for non-commercial use. That could be like singing a song in a video that you uploaded on facebook or youtube. Internet service providers could be forced to block social media sites, search engines could be required to delete results, and all other sorts of nonsense because of one copyright holder. This is a very big deal, this is the first step to a VERY changed internet.

Whether this goes through or not - it will only change things for the average user. It won't be easy to do illegal stuff online anymore. It won't be as easy as downloading uTorrent and downloading some movies. It will require some work :)

It'll bring the movie/ song market back up for sure... This is another one of those stupid "99%" things again. 1% people star in the movies, write songs, copyright a dance move... and they want money for their work, but users want it free! Why shouldn't it be free! Hey man, I want your house! I'm taking it for free. And I'm going to swim in your swimming pool. Oh wait.. that's trespassing.. on property that's yours...

Maybe we should be fighting to not pay an actor 100 million dollars and only pay him 1 million instead… or 500k. Same for songs. Things get cheaper, everyone wins.

Yeah, it'll change the internet. but who cares. It's the law :p Sorry I got on a bit of a rant, but all these protests that are popping up are just plain stupid.

You're only referring to things that are already illegal.

I'm in no way saying downloading movies and songs illegally should be allowed, I'm not sure how you got that...lol.

What I am saying is that this bill needs to be challenged so if absolutely nothing else, lawmakers are forced to rethink it and word everything properly.

Does it honestly sound just that if a 14 year old kid were to post a video to YouTube and there happen to be a radio playing in the background, they could be facing felony charges? It's just absurd.

Or that a website could be entirely shut down for something as ridiculous as a user having Darth Vader as a forum avatar?

Not to mention information potentially being flat out blocked from search engines? Doesn't that essentially ruin the amazing research tool that is the internet?

I would recommend reading more...this is far more than just kiddies torrenting movies and wanting to get away with it.
Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Back
Top Bottom