Problem Hardwiring 3 Devices to Router

KariLeigh

Beta member
Hello,
I am having a very frustrating computer problem that has been going on for a few weeks, any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated! I am trying to hardwire a laptop, desktop computer, and an XBox to a D-Link router that is connected to my Shaw modem. First of all, I have called Shaw and they told me that I have unlimited IP addresses because I have Shaw Extreme-I internet, therefore this should not be the problem. They told me that my router is currently running two IP adresses, and I think the problem might be that it is not letting me run a third. I called the router company, and they told me that it was a problem with XBox. However, this is not the case because when I unplug either my desktop computer or my laptop, I am able to get internet access to my XBox. The problem is: I can get internet access to two devices through my router, but not a third. All the cords are working, the router and all ports work fine, I have internet access, I even called Dell to see if maybe a firewall was causing the problem, but this is not the case either. Each company that I call says that it is another company's problem, and no one seems to have any idea what is going on. I have done everything that everyone has said to try, and it is JUST NOT WORKING!
If anyone has any ideas why this might be, or what I may be able to do about it, please post here. I do not want to go wireless because I play an online RPG and wireless connections can be kind of sketchy - I prefer the stability of a hardwired connection.
Thanks in advance,
-- Kari

Ok. First thing I noticed, the ISP doesn't control how many IP address your router can give out. The two are not related.

Second thing, I would look at is what IP addresses your computter and laptop are getting when they are connected and working.

Third, do you know how to login to your router? If so, look around in side for setting about DHCP. Make sure that it is turned on.

Back
Top Bottom