PC having issues with internet

lantybunning

Beta member
Firstly my pc runs XP and is a custom build i bought off a website.

After a certain period of internet use, my pc loses its connection to the internet. The system tray icon says i have 1Gbps and internet access, but nothing will load. A temorary fix ive discovered is to turn my pc off and back on again, but the same error will occur again. The period of time before this happens varies a lot. can be between 10 mins and several hours.

If anyone has a fix or thinks this post should be moved, please let me know.

many thanks

Power cycle the equipment - the modem and/or the router. To power cycle, unplug them both and leave them out for about 30 seconds, plug them back in starting with the modem and giving it 10 seconds before you plug in the router.

Test to see if that fixes the problem. If not, you may have to contact your ISP and see if it's something on their end - they should be able to see what's going on with the modem.

Do you have other computers/devices on the network or just one computer?

No other computers or devices on the network suffer from this problem and it occurs on different networks. Ive tried it at my parents house and my friends house and the problem persists. sorry, should have stated that before. seems to be a problem with the hardware?

Yes, is it wireless or wired?

If wireless, there might be a setting where Windows turns it off to save power. You can try to disable that.

It does seem to be a hardware issue. Is this Windows XP or 7?

First, try to do a ping test when the internet isn't working. Start>Run>CMD>in the block box type (with no quotes) "ping www.google.com" (or any website). See if you get any results.

In 7 you have to do this to get the CMD box:
1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.

You can also, in that same black box, try this command: "netsh int ip reset" (without quotes) then restart the computer.

Last edited:
I'd also try to install new network drivers. If you already have the latest, uninstall and then reinstall them.

Back
Top Bottom