no valid IP address

Darkstar22

Beta member
I recently got a new laptop and i have been trying to connect to the internet. We have a netgear router, and my laptop is able to connect to the router, but I'm not getting a vaild IP address. I set up the wirless profile, and even reset the router, but im still having the same problems. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Which device is not getting a valid IP? The laptop or the router? What IP are you getting?

My laptop is not getting an IP, im connected to the network through the router but for some reason cannot get an IP to get on the net.

your laptop should have a192.168 address and the router should pull the ISP's ip. if the router is not pulling the IP try resetting the modem by unplugging the power for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. then let is sync for about 1 minute and reset the router by unplugging the power for 5 seconds or so. This should correct the problem, if the router still wont pull and IP try bypassing it. If you pull an IP after bypassing the router is junk. If you still wont pull an IP then call your ISP. Just make sure that whenever you hook the modem up to a new device, or even a new port on the computer for that matter, reset that modem

We need more info... what IP are you getting on your laptop? What kind of modem do you have?

The modem must be set to bridge ethernet rather than PPPoE, the router should do that for you. If you have not heard of this before, chances are your modem is not configured properly to work with your router.

We have tried resetting the router, but my brother doesnt think that is the problem seeing that im connected to the network. The DHCP is also on. 192.168.0.34 is the IP im getting from my laptop and im not sure if my bro tried bypassing it or not..hes more of a computer wiz than i am.. so im not sure what all he has tried. We have a motorola 5B5100 SURFboard cable modem, with a netgear router.

If that is the same modem I'm thinking of, it will accept one MAC and one MAC only. Make sure you reset the modem with the router plugged in. This will reconfigure the modem to allow the MAC of the router.

it will actualy accept two MAC's. The 5100 has built in switching (USB and Ethernet). The only problem is that you need two IP addresses in order to use it.

Sounds like your computer doesnt know the correct default gateway or DNS servers.

use ipconfig /all in command prompt to be sure that your computer is picking up all the requirements. DNS servers. Default gateway. Etc. If it does then try setting your IP address statically with all that information.

Back
Top Bottom