new SATA drives...??

Tangerine

Beta member
I hope I put this in the right area...

I was looking into a new hard drive...and was wondering what the advantage of getting a SATA (160GB) hard Drive is... over the other hard drives...

and wondering if there is any disadvantages?

does anyone know?

This should be posted in the General Computer Hardware and Software section, but we'll let the mods worry about that, hehe.

SATA is suppose to be faster than traditional EIDE drives. It can transfer rates of 150MB/s compared to 133MB/s of EIDE drives although speeds never reach the max anyways. The advantages of SATA drives is that the cable is super thin which help with airflow circulation in your PC (but you can get rounded cables too for EIDE drives as well). I don't see any disadvantages of using SATA drives. Some people have a hard time getting the computer to recognize it, but the motherboard should come with a SATA driver disk to help with the installation. I would say get the SATA because it's fast and new technology. It will get even better in the future as it plans to transfer data at much higher rate.

SATA II is out with a 300 MB transfer rate. SATA also supports NCQ. One thing about ATA/100 or ATA/133 is that is purely burst, it will never sustain even close to that. SATA sustained rates are much higher (although still not close to burst of 150 or 300MB/s) transfer rates.

Back
Top Bottom