networking problems

stoobs67

Beta member
Ive researched the site for answers but couldnt get the ones i need. But anyways I have a Desktop (xp Pro) and notebook (media center). They are networked together and can access the net and share files fine when they are both hardwired. But when i go wireless with the notebook i can access the net but cant access the network to share files. When i click on a shared folder it says network path not found. Any help would be great thanks

yes my network is layed like you showed. I read through the link that you posted and everything checks out, unless im missing something small, which i probably am.

My wireless network is enabled with WPA

I figured it out. I did some more research using google and what I found out I had to do was instal my wireless card on my desktop and connected with it rather then with a hard wire. I can access the network with my notebook fine now. But isnt there another way to do it? cant i set a static ip on my notebook? I read that some where but i cant remember if it pertains to this.

Yes you can definetly set a static IP if you prefer.

Good job on finding the soulution yourself though bro

stoobs67 said:
I figured it out. I did some more research using google and what I found out I had to do was instal my wireless card on my desktop and connected with it rather then with a hard wire. I can access the network with my notebook fine now. But isnt there another way to do it? cant i set a static ip on my notebook? I read that some where but i cant remember if it pertains to this.

Mine works fine and i havent had to do that mate. Ive got a wireless router, with 2 wired desktops and a wireless laptop connecting with no problems. I used to get problems, when i had simple file sharing turned on, so maybe try turning that off on all the pcs, you can do it in windows explorer > tools > folder options > view, and its the very last box. Also make sure your logged on with the same name and password on all computers

Back
Top Bottom