Networking into my own comp.

Windex1

In Runtime
I posted a thread earlier about null modems. It seems that there isn't such thing as a USB null modem to connect one computer with a usb cord to the old one that allows USB so I can transfer files across each computer. If you know of a weblink, that'd be helpful.

Ok, so I have my laptop which i'm typing on right here and I have a computer in the other room which has a HDD that I can't put into the laptop; I think.

So the other option is:

1. Buy a new CD burner. (don't want to)
2. Find a way to network into my computer through my laptop.

I have a wi-fi internet thing going on between the old computer and the new one.

On the old one: ME
New one: XP

I have no clue about networking. All I know is how to find the IP and MAC address and I've really had no clue about how to get into another computer. So, how do I get into my other computer through the laptop using the internet connection?

*blinks*

You can private message me if you consider this hacking. I know the logic behind hacking a tiny bit, I don't intend to "hack".

You should be able to communicate between the two computers using a crossover cable connected to each computers NIC. (Assuming you have RJ45 ports on each.) Give each computer a static IP and use the IP for computer A as the default gateway on computer B and vice versa.

you can use a crossover cable (RJ45) or you can use an ethernet cable from each computer going into a router. then set the IP address eaither automatically or manually, to find ip address, goto

start>run>type 'cmd' press enter> then type 'ipconfig'

listed will also be your subnet mask, that is required aswell when you are setting up the connection.

If you want to do the connection wirelessly, you will need a wireless PCI card in each of the computers and a wireless router.

any other questions, just ask.

matt

Cant you use the computers parallel port and plug the laptop and PC together like that??? (i know that parallel ports are old, but they still can be useful!!)

Back
Top Bottom